none
Selecting Recovery Set RRS feed

• Question

• I want to do a long term backup to tape and tell it to use a specific Recovery Set. Set 1 is my weekly rotation and Set 2 my monthly and Set 3 is yearly. When I executed the job manually, it users Set 1. How can I specify that I want to capture the latest recovery point on disk and use Set 3 instead.

Ted
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hi

We have no provision for allowing you to choose a recovery goal when doing ad-hoc backup, it will always be a goal-1 backup. That does not prevent you from making a tape backup and taking it offsite for extended periods, but it will show up on the overdue tape report and when you bring it back it after the recovery points expire the tape will show expired.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi

We have no provision for allowing you to choose a recovery goal when doing ad-hoc backup, it will always be a goal-1 backup. That does not prevent you from making a tape backup and taking it offsite for extended periods, but it will show up on the overdue tape report and when you bring it back it after the recovery points expire the tape will show expired.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:42 AM
  • Thanks.  Based off my issue, when I open up the protection group and display the custom recovery goal, I have 3 check boxes, one next to each set that I assume is to turn it on or off.  If I uncheck the top 2 and save it and then execute the backup to tape, will that not use the retention time outlined on the Yearly set?  Once the backup is complete, I would hope I can just go back in and check to first two to get back to my original plan without loosing anything.

Ted
    Monday, January 9, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hi,

In theory, yes that would do what you want, However you really do not want to to do that because that will re-set all your other backup tapes to expire based on the retention period of the yearly goal.  Once set, they will not be changed back if you re-introdice the other two recovery goals.

Monday, January 9, 2012 11:37 PM