Storage Space: is the free space calculation correct? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows Server 2016 Technical preview on a small test server. I added one SSD and two hard disks to try out Storage Spaces. I created one mirrored vdisk, and one striped. From Server Manager it looks like this

<image that I was not allowed to add>That is, I have two 900GB physical disks and and one 119GB SSD. The 300GB mirror uses 600GB, and the 201 GB stripe uses that, total 801GB, and free space 1.15TB, add ups to the 1.93TB total.

But when I try to add a tiered simple disk I get the following: 

<image that I was not allowed to add>

That is, the SSD tier has no free space, and the standard tier has only 582GB. Why these figures? 

Monday, October 5, 2015 6:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I assume it is used by the stripe virtual disk - a stripe virtual disk needs at least 3 disks so SSD is also included. As the size of the SSD is 120GB while the stripe volume is much larger, you may get the no enough free space error.

Test to delete the stripe virtual disk and try to create the tiered simple disk again. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume it is used by the stripe virtual disk - a stripe virtual disk needs at least 3 disks so SSD is also included. As the size of the SSD is 120GB while the stripe volume is much larger, you may get the no enough free space error.

Test to delete the stripe virtual disk and try to create the tiered simple disk again. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:17 AM
  • stripe is just the name I choose. I think I created it as a simple disk on the two HDD:s. Can I see the allocation of the disk space?

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay but by default if you add 3 hard disks into a storage pool, when creating a virtual disk, it will use all of these 3 disks for a better performance by default.

And you can see the used disk in Properties of that virtual disk and go to Health tab. 

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:38 AM