Web Site Monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Sharepoint 2010 Farm, in SCOM we have the Sharepoint 2010 foundation MP, the Sharepoint 2010 MP, the IIS MP,  the ASP.net MP,   and I still cannot get all the performaonce counters, or reports on items I need to monitor...

Specificly  I am trying to get:

ASP.NET
    Application Pool Recycles
    Requests Queued
    Request Wait Time
    Requests Rejected
    Requests Total
    Requests Queued
    Request Wait Time
    Requests Rejected
    Requests Executing (_Total)
    Requests/Sec (_Total)

.NET CLR Memory
    # Gen 0 Collections
    # Gen 1 Collections
    # Gen 2 Collections
    % Time in GC

Any one know how to get these items?

Is there a Web Site Monitoirng MP that would give me this stuff?

Friday, October 21, 2011 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Go to Authoring - management pack objects - rules - create a new rule

In Rule type - under collection rules - performance based - Windows performance and select an appropriate overrides MP

Give an appropriate rule name -

category is 'Performance collection'

Rule target is to the appropriate collection you need to target it to. In your case some .net collection

Remove the check mark from 'rule is enabled'. Later enable it them through overrides.

IN the next page

Press the select button. Choose the computer and the appropriate perf counters you require.

Next and go ahead and create.

Hope this solves your problem

Regards,

Dhanraj

• Proposed as answer by Dan Rogers Monday, October 24, 2011 8:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:08 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies

• Seems pretty straighforward.  Whenever you know what you want to collect, you can set up collection rules to collect these things.

Some of the ones you list will be pretty uninteresting, for sure.  For instance the ones that end in "s" are just counters that increase forever untill the computer restarts or is rolled over.  Think about the graph of that line - what does it tell you?  That the software is running, maybe, or getting called, maybe.  Not very useful.  I call these "developer debug counters".

You could use the delta counter feature to turn these into differences - but even that is uninteresting (there were 9 total requests this time period).

Others, such as request wait time, changes randomly (it's a trailing average).  But could be indicative of a loaded system, so that one could be interesting.

What would App Pool Recycles = 2013 mean?

Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I am going by the MS recomendations here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff758658.aspx

I have everything except the list below, is there a Management Pack that will get me them and if not how would I create a rule for them?

ASP.NET
    Application Pool Recycles
    Requests Queued
    Request Wait Time
    Requests Rejected
    Requests Total
    Requests Queued
    Request Wait Time
    Requests Rejected
    Requests Executing (_Total)
    Requests/Sec (_Total)

.NET CLR Memory
    # Gen 0 Collections
    # Gen 1 Collections
    # Gen 2 Collections
    % Time in GC

Monday, October 24, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Well, most of those articles are written by the devs/testers/documenters, but if you need them you need them :)

You can create rules yourself any time.  This is done in the authoring space in the OM console.  You may want to read up on how to create your own rules and monitors.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

Go to Authoring - management pack objects - rules - create a new rule

In Rule type - under collection rules - performance based - Windows performance and select an appropriate overrides MP

Give an appropriate rule name -

category is 'Performance collection'

Rule target is to the appropriate collection you need to target it to. In your case some .net collection

Remove the check mark from 'rule is enabled'. Later enable it them through overrides.

IN the next page

Press the select button. Choose the computer and the appropriate perf counters you require.

Next and go ahead and create.

Hope this solves your problem

Regards,

Dhanraj

• Proposed as answer by Dan Rogers Monday, October 24, 2011 8:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:08 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 6:33 PM