none
Is there any negative impact of creating test MA of MIIS for same domain ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am planning migration of MIIS to FIM for galsync.

If MIIS SQL2000DBx86 backup restore to FIM SQL2008R2x64 is possible,

I think ConnectSpace and Metaverse objects remain in FIM SQL2008R2.

In that case, I would like to do join-rule test of mailbox and contact object of FIM SQL2008R2.

I thought

Create Test GAL MA,Test SourceOU(for mailbox),Test TargetOU(for contact), testmailboxes(in Test SourceOU)  for each domains by MIIS and AD.

define import attribute flow from testmailbox (in Test SourceOU) to metaverse person-test object(newly create new metaverse object for test in MIIS)  and import to person-test object and export to Test TargetOU for each domains.

Backup MIIS SQL2000x86 database

Restore SQL2000 backup to FIM SQL2008R2 DB

Make sure person-test object exist in FIM

Create Test GAL MA of FIM and define same attribute flow in step #2 and define join-rule for mailbox and contact.

Run Test GAL MA of FIM and check that exisiting testmailbox and exported contact of each domains are joined to existing person-test object of FIM.

I am caring about it is possible to Make two GAL MA for same domain in MIIS and there is no negative impact to production environment.

I am just planning now.

Does it make sence ?

Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:38 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I fully follow your testing plan, but to answer your question, the only issue I am aware of with having multiple MAs connect to the same domain/forest is with password synchronization.  If you are using PCNS, there must be only one MA that could possibly hold the user object associated with the password or MIIS/ILM/FIM cannot determine which is appropriate.  From what I have gathered of your situation, there shouldn't be a negative impact.

If you are also wondering about having MIIS and FIM running at the same time, that would only cause you headaches if you tried to have both exporting changes to the same objects as they might not agree on the "truth" at any given moment.

Be aware that if you are doing an upgrade install of FIM on top of an older sync engine database, start with FIM RTM and then upgrade from there.  You can't jump directly to FIM 2010 R2.

Chris

(Edit:  The testing plan makes some sense, but not the approach I usually take.  I would do imports on the real MAs, commit a full sync preview on my "test" object(s) and run an export knowing it/they represent the only pending changes.  Others will run the first export with a run profile that drops the export to a file and stops to allow you to review it.)
    Monday, April 15, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I understand it is an in-place upgrade.  That's not possible since FIM requires a 64-bit environment.  When you restore the database and install FIM on top of it, don't try to use FIM 2010 R2.

The Target OU is certainly something to watch out for, but as long as both servers aren't trying to update the same exact users/contacts/etc. within that OU I think you'd be okay.

And regarding two GAL MAs for the same domain in MIIS, the only problem that I am aware of would be if you were using MIIS for password synchronization as well.  If you're just sync'ing mailboxes in one domain to contacts in another, which is what it sounds like you're doing, this problem wouldn't apply.

Chris

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:55 AM