none
How to show a duration with actual hours that don't match? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set the plan to show that, whilst the actual work involved may only take 8 hours, the duration of the task will be 10 days. I.E. Authoring a Technical Requirements doc, then issuing for review and amending following comments - actual work only = 8 hours but the time to do those 8 hours will be 10 days, factoring in response times, different time zones of reviewers etc.  How can I do this?

I need to be able to accurately show the amount of hours that a resource is working whilst still ensuring management understand the durations required across the project. Currently resourcing is saying people are over committed when in fact, they aren't?

Many thanks

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have many ways to do that:

• you can have a tak with a work of 8hrs BUT a duration of 10 days. It is important to understand the difference between work and duration. You can use fix (using the task type) either the duration or the work to "freeze" one of those 2 parameters depending of your context. Ie "I'm sure that the task will last 10 days" or "I'm sure that the worker will take 8hrs to perform the task".
    • you can set a lag on the dependency. Meaning that the task might be just 8hrs (1 day) and the successor (reviewing the doc) will arrive after the task "document creation" plus a delay of X days.
    • if you do want to monitor this delay, you could split the task in 2 tasks: document creation and document review.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 11:12 AM
  • Rustees --

Here is how to accomplish what you want:

1. Apply the Gantt Chart view.
    2. Create a new task named Author Technical Requirements and set the Duration to 10 days.
    3. Right-click anywhere in the Gantt Chart pane on the right side of the view, and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu (to display the Task Entry view).
    4. Confirm that you still have the Author Technical Requirements task selected.
    5. In the Task Form pane, set the Task Type setting to Fixed Duration, and then click the OK button.
    6. In the Task Form pane, select a resource name in the Resource Name column, and then set the Work value for the resource to 10 hours.
    7. In the Task Form pane, click the OK button to make the resource assignment.

By following these steps, Microsoft Project assigns a resource to work 10 hours on a task with a 10-day duration.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:08 PM