none
Secondary DPM server only lists 1 "Protected Server" on the primary DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a new DPM server (DPM3) to replace our existing server (DPM1).  I've got all of the protection groups removed from the old server and added to the new, and the new server has been successfully backing up our servers for the last week.  Now I'm trying to switch our secondary DPM server (DPM2) over to protect DPM3.  I've removed the old protection group which formerly protected DPM1, and deleted the associated data.  I attached to the agent on DPM3, and created a new PG to protect the data from DPM3.  However, when I get to selecting what data to protect, and expand DPM3>Protected Servers, only one server is listed.  There should be about 15. 

I originally did not uninstall the agents from our production servers, I just ran setdpmserver on each to point them to DPM3.  Wondering if that might be the issue, I went back to DPM1 and uninstalled protection agents from all of the servers it knew of, then manually re-installed the agent by running:

"\\dpm3\c$\program files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\agents\RA\4.2.1297.0\amd64\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB3040326_AMD64.exe DPM3

The reinstall seemed successful, with DPM3 updating to show the agents with a pending reboot status.  Unfortunately, even after rebooting those servers and getting the agent status back to OK, when I try to modify my protection group on DPM2, it still only shows the same 1 server under DPM3>Protected Servers.

My next step will probably be to remove servers from protection groups on DPM3, then from the dpm console on DPM3 to uninstall and re-install the agents on those servers.  However, that's going to mean more rebooting of prod servers, and then a consistency check on all of the data when I add the servers back to the PG, before I can even check to see whether DPM2 sees the re-added servers.  I'd prefer to avoid that if I can. 

Any idea why the other protected servers would not be listed?  Or how to fix this?
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:57 PM

All replies

• bump - anyone?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:09 PM
  • Given the total lack of responses, I ended up rebuilding the secondary protection server (DPM2) from scratch.  After installing Server 2012R2, SQL 2012 SP2, and DPM 2012R2, and then applying UR6 on both DPM2 and DPM3 so they are at the same version, I am now showing all of the servers protected by DPM3 as available for backup to DPM2.  

If anyone with the same issue comes across this thread, I know that a rebuild of the secondary protection server is not ideal, but at least I can tell you that it did solve my issue.  I wasn't sure if the problem was on the DPM2 or DPM3 side, and wasn't sure until I tried, whether rebuilding DPM2 would make a difference. 

Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:03 PM