none
Cannot "see" hard drive connected via SATA/IDE-to-USB adapter

Question

• Since changing to 7, I've had a really hard time cleaning infected hard drives. In fact, it's been impossible. With XP, I could connect the infected drive using a SATA/IDE-to-USB adapter, take ownership of the drive and get rid of the offending files. With 7, however, the drive isn't recognized until I initialize it which, naturally, will blow away everything on the drive. 

It's another MSoft catch-22. If I back up the data so it's safe to initialize, then I have to be able to access the data to back it up so I can initialize it, right? If I do that on the infected computer, chances are I'm backing up the virus anyway.

Same goes for old hard drives I have lying around. I'd love to see what's on them but I can't unless I first initialize them which precludes my ability to see what's on them. I don't have an IDE port on my desktop so some of these drives cannot be connected directly.

Finally, I don't do this kind of stuff all the time anymore due to health reasons so it's not worth building a retro machine just for this purpose.

Is there not some kind of work-around for this or is another shining example of planned obsolescence? 

I'm out of my mind, please leave a message

Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Something must be wrong with your disks, there should not problems with connecting old sata disk with a sata-to-usb adapter.
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:16 AM
  • useless help. I cannot access any hard drive connected via usb. They are showing up in the device manager but I cant access them
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:58 PM