Restrict PAS to web-only access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, this question undoubtedly has a simple answer, but I can't find it... I have a briefing book on which I would like to limit access by *most* users in my organization, such that they can only view it via the web interface, not via Desktop Professional.

The reason for this is simply that we would prefer to provide them with a simple interface that will not permit them to get into too much trouble, i.e. we don't want them building giant queries that bury the server, and the web client makes that harder to do.

Does anyone have any thoughts? TIA.

--Dan

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• Desktop Pro is a Windows app installed on the client machine.  The user can of course get to this application without interacting with the ProClarity Analytic Server, so PAS won't have the ability to restrict them from opening the Desktop Pro if it's installed on their machine.

The Web Pro is an ActiveX client that is usually downloaded and installed from PAS.  If the user does not have permissions to the Web Pro, the server won't give them the ability to download/install it, and neither will it show the features that allow them to open it when the navigate to the PAS website.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

You can limit who has access to the Professional client by the user properties in the ProClarity Admin Tool.  I would recommend reviewing the section of the ProClarity Admin Guide titled "Managing Roles, User Accounts, and Publishing Properties" for more information.

Hope this helps,

Bob 

Monday, November 24, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Thank you for the response, I'm afraid I have a follow-up question, just to make sure...

The Admin Guide has a topic called "Allow Web Professional access to Analytics Server", about the checkbox in the user preferences. Am I to understand that this checkbox will control users' access to *both* web professional and desktop professional?

--Dan

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Desktop Pro is a Windows app installed on the client machine.  The user can of course get to this application without interacting with the ProClarity Analytic Server, so PAS won't have the ability to restrict them from opening the Desktop Pro if it's installed on their machine.

The Web Pro is an ActiveX client that is usually downloaded and installed from PAS.  If the user does not have permissions to the Web Pro, the server won't give them the ability to download/install it, and neither will it show the features that allow them to open it when the navigate to the PAS website.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:09 PM
  • That's wonderful, thank you for your help! --Dan

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:50 PM