SCCM 2012 to SCCM CB in Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very distributed client (1500-2000 nodes in 300+ offices around.
    Majority of machines are Windows 8 and they are in the process of migrating to Windows 10.
    Currently only 50+ machines are windows 10.
    All are managed by SCCM 2012.

They want to move SCCM to Azure.

I have read the following
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/configuration-manager-on-azure

What would be the best way to go about it?

Can someone point me in that direction?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 3:27 AM

All replies

• > "What would be the best way to go about it?"

Moving your site server to Azure is fine but in no way helps managing clients in a distributed environment as your remote locations [most likely] don't have direct connectivity to Azure. Managing clients in a distributed environment generally consists of placing DPs at those remote locations which is probably what you already have. Moving the site server to Azure doesn't change this in any way.

Additionally, always keep in mind that Azure costs are based on resource consumption including disk, processor, and outgoing traffic. Thus, while I'm in not discouraging you from moving your site server to Azure and it may be cost-effective in the long run as there are many intangible costs that most folks never account for with on-premises systems (like power, cooling, security, Internet, etc). With Azure these are monthly, possibly variable costs, that can add up and cause sticker shock as these aren't explicitly accounted for with an on-prem server.

So yes, moving to Azure can be good for many reasons, but enabling management of a distributed environment is not one of them unless you have configured direct, reliable connectivity from each location directly to Azure.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 1:48 PM
  • Thanks Jason for the reply. The question came up after initial conversation of moving SCCM to Azure

Awaiting more details from client regarding how they are currently managing their SCCM environment and what are their future plans for IT in general.

Yes, I was also concerned about the cost as I have gone thru earlier conversations on forum regarding moving and managing SCCM for on premise clients but the scenario was different than this distributed environment.

Also customers are not aware of additional IT Administrative overhead of SCCM CB of keeping up with upgrades.

Thanks once again

• Edited by DCM-1 Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:44 PM