none
Troubleshooting Windows Hello and PIN Sign-in configuration on Windows 10 (1703) RRS feed

• Question

• I previously had Windows Hello working on a HP Spectre x360 (domain joined, on-prem AD with cloud-based O365). The system needed to be rebuilt after an issue with a fast ring build, and has been pulled back to 1703 because we are waiting on an anti-virus vendor compatibility patch for Fall Creators Update.

Now I'm stuck without being able to add a PIN or setup Windows Hello:

I have run through various threads that have described setting local group policy options, registry keys, removing folders, etc... None of them seem to be working. What mechanisms are available to troubleshoot the logic of Control Panel as to when it will enable the Add button for PIN sign-in?

Monday, December 18, 2017 12:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• I shall suggest you to delete NGC folder and recheck the issue.

In File explorer locate C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft.Right click the Ngc folder and choose Properties.

Navigate to the Security tab and click on Advanced button

Locate the Owner section at the top and click Change link.

In Enter the object name to select enter Administrators, if you’re using administrator account, or your user name and click Check Names and OK.

Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click Apply and OK.

Open Ngc folder, select all files and folders in it and delete them.

Now go to Settings app > Account settings. Choose Sign-in Options and click Add a PIN.

See also:

Troubleshoot problems with Windows Hello on Surface

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, December 18, 2017 1:21 AM
  • I shall suggest you to delete NGC folder and recheck the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried that. I'm looking at this stage for any diagnostics logs on how Windows makes a decision on whether to allow PIN or Face Recognition.

Monday, December 18, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

I also found several threads may relate to your problem, please refer to the link:

Fix: PIN Sign in is Not Available in Windows 10

http://windowsreport.com/pin-sign-in-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Cannot enable Windows Hello

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cc1516aa-2cfc-4720-914a-e8252c0d6ba0/cannot-enable-windows-hello?forum=win10itprosetup

Hope they can help you.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_TaoModerator Tuesday, December 26, 2017 2:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ColinBowern Friday, December 29, 2017 10:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Hi Tony - None of the links have pointed to a working solution.
    Friday, December 29, 2017 10:20 AM
  • I have upgraded to 1709, nothing has changed - it still does not work.
    Monday, January 15, 2018 8:29 PM
  • I have solved it - we had "Use Windows Hello for Business" enabled, but had not completed any of the steps to finish configuring it. Once the IT team set it back to Not Configured I was able to create a PIN and activate facial recognition.
    • Marked as answer by ColinBowern Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:45 PM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:45 PM