Updates fail when trying to update reference images RRS feed

• Question

• All, I have found that these updates for "August 2015" App updates are blowing things up in our environment.  I am having the issue when trying to rebuild and capture my Windows 8.1 Enterprise (11-21-2014 download from vlsc).  The updates are for "built- in" Appx Packages. 

In our build sequence we uninstall these applications:

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -Verbose

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingFinance | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingMaps | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingNews | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingSports | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingTravel | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingWeather | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.HelpAndTips | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Office.OneNote | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Reader | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsAlarms | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsCalculator | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsReadingList | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsScan | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.ZuneMusic | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.ZuneVideo | Remove-AppxPackage -Verbose

These are the updates that are failing:

• KB3080457 - August 2015 Communications Apps update for WSUS for Windows 8.1
    • KB3081397 - August 2015 Bing Finance app update for WSUS for Windows 8.1
    • KB3081398 - August 2015 Bing Travel app update for WSUS for Windows 8.1
    • KB3081399 - August 2015 Bing Sports app update for WSUS for Windows 8.1
    • KB3081401 - August 2015 Bing News app update for WSUS for Windows 8.1
    • KB3081402 - August 2015 Bing Maps app update for WSUS for Windows 8.1
    • KB3081403 - August 2015 Bing Health & Fitness app update for WSUS for Windows 8.1
    • KB3081405 - August 2015 Bing Weather app update for WSUS for Windows 8.1

If they are removed from Pre-provisioning and removed from the only user account (Administrator), why are these applications being detected as needing updates instead of being skipped as not installed?

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.

Monday, October 5, 2015 3:11 PM

All replies

• I declined all of the updates in WSUS that I mentioned in the OP.  This worked for the first of my two task sequences running (other was longer and is still going), but this is not a great solution.  Windows needs to have some detection logic to determine if the programs are installed prior trying to force it on us.

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.

Monday, October 5, 2015 7:30 PM
  • Bearing in mind MDT can only work within the confines of Windows behavior, add this to your customsettings.ini:

WUMU_ExcludeKB001=3080457

WUMU_ExlcudeKB002=3081397

etc.

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Monday, October 5, 2015 9:05 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed message back.  The second of my two finished successfully.  I ended up just declining the updates in WSUS.  However, I'd like to try Ty's suggestion also.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Chase, it is just a different path to the same destination.  I generally focus on solutions that in in the control of the MDT admin :)

Logs are very important. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Also if you have made customizations please mention them when asking for help.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:29 PM