none
Cannot Unmute Embedded Videos in IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi- Running IE v11.0.9600.18125 on Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise. I cannot get sound for videos on many web sites. On Youtube, there isn't even the volume icon in the video window. On other sites, the video starts muted (X over speaker icon) and I cannot unmute it. I've tested this on several workstations with the same result. Any ideas?

Thanx

You should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about. -Willy Wonka

• Edited by SteveSmo Friday, January 8, 2016 5:49 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 5:48 PM

Answers

• Well... I checked this again today and haven't made any manual changes to IE or the OS, but everything is working fine now. Windows Updates?

• Marked as answer by SteveSmo Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

could you please include some sample web addresses (copied from the IE address bar) with your questions?

this allows us to visit the same web pages that you are having problems with and to make some tests.

" I've tested this on several workstations with the same result. Any ideas?"

There are no IE GP settings for sound management.... My guess would be an out of date sound driver....

Start>Control panel>Device Manager>Sound, Video and Game controllers,

Start>Control Panel>Sound

Start>Control Panel>Flash 32bit

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, January 11, 2016 7:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SteveSmo Monday, January 11, 2016 5:07 PM
    Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Hi- Well, just pick ANY video on youtube. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DPd6L4vy8Q

Remember, there isn't even a volume control on any of the videos. Same with Vimeo, no sound and no volume controls, so the likelihood of it being a sound driver is slim to none (By the way this happens on different devices: laptops and towers, and the files play with sound in any other browser.)

AND, it's not on ALL sites. I went on DailyMotion and get sound, TruTV.com videos work. But on other sites, like iTunes Trailers and Fandango, I can't even get the videos to load, let alone play.

So, definitely something within IE, whether it's local settings or something inherent to the software... More ideas?

Monday, January 11, 2016 5:07 PM
  • there isn't even a volume control on any of the videos.

I had one with that YouTube video for both Edge and IE.  So, it's working in W10 at least.   <eg>

Ah.  I do see a bit of problem with that scenario on Surface RT 8.2, when using Touch.  I can bring up the video toolbar with its speaker icon but as soon as I try to tap on it, the toolbar vanishes.  For a workaround I was able to tap on the Pause button, the toolbar stays up, the speaker can be tapped and then the Pause can be resumed.   No trouble though when using the Touchpad pointer.  Then the pointer can hover over the toolbar and keep it up while I click on any of its buttons.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:00 PM
    Answerer
  • Well... I checked this again today and haven't made any manual changes to IE or the OS, but everything is working fine now. Windows Updates?

• Marked as answer by SteveSmo Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:02 PM