none
Hyper-V VM backup from parent level failing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have setup a protection group on one our my customers DPM servers.  The protection group has been setup to protect the local domain controller which runs as a Hyper-V Virtual Machine.  I have configured the protection group to protect the server using "Backup using Child Partition Snapshot" which generally works without any issues.

However, this particular protection group seems to successfully create the first inital replica and recovery point and then follow that will fail.  The error I receive is the following:

"An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check) (0x80070017)."

Last week there was a failed drive in the RAID set on the Hyper-V parent last week which has now been resolved and all hardware appears to be OK.  Since then I have deleted and recreated the protection group.  The schedule for this is:

8 day retention, Express backup on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday with sync just before the recovery point.

Has anyone seen the issue and have any advice on next steps.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:08 AM

All replies

• These errors are typically related to file or disk corruption.  Look in the DPM jobs and alerts for errors with details that point to a specific file or volume.  Are there any disk errors on the DPM server or the protected server?

If the error points to a file you should investigate file level corruption.  If the error points to a volume then you should investigate disk corruption and run chkdsk against the drives to see if any corruption is detected.

Thanks,

Michael Vargo

-------------------- Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:15 PM