none
E-Mail Throttling (Exchange Standard v.2013 CU16 DAG)

Question

• Hello -

I hope I'm posting to the correct forum here.

We perform intermittent e-mail blasts to some of our customer base for overdue bills. 

With that, I'm needing to throttle emails based on specific internal users, (where the email blasts are coming from).  This is to keep these email blasts from going out during the business day, and if they do, we want to throttle them.  Ideally, to the converse, we would like to allow those same email blasts to not be throttled during non-business hours, so that those email blasts can have full utilization of the Exchange resources during non-business hours.  I don't even know if it's possible to get this granular with it or not.

Having said that, I found this TechNet article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351045(v=exchg.160).aspx

In theory, the first syntax example is what I'm needing...

Syntax from the article:
    New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name ITUserPolicy -EwsMaxConcurrency 4 -ThrottlingPolicyScope Regular

Description of that syntax:
    "This example creates a non-default user throttling policy that can be associated with specific users. Any parameters that you omit inherit the values from the default throttling policy GlobalThrottlingPolicy_<GUID>. After you create this policy, you must associate it with specific users."

I'm not at all familiar with customizing the syntax to what I need, which would be to only allow a finite amount of messages to be sent during the business day, in order to keep the Exchange resources available.

Is this even possible?

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Timahh2,

Based on my knowledge, you can create a throttling policy and apply it to these specific users, but the policy cannot distinguish whether business hours or not, it will be applied all the time.

Run the following command to create a throttling policy, it specifies the limits on the number of recipients that a user can address in a 24-hour period:

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name UserPolicy -RecipientRateLimit 100 -ThrottlingPolicyScope Regular

Then, apply this policy to the user, this would be to allow a finite a amount of messages to be sent from the user in one day:

Set-Mailbox UserName -ThrottlingPolicy UserPolicy 

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by timahh2 Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Timahh2,

Based on my knowledge, you can create a throttling policy and apply it to these specific users, but the policy cannot distinguish whether business hours or not, it will be applied all the time.

Run the following command to create a throttling policy, it specifies the limits on the number of recipients that a user can address in a 24-hour period:

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name UserPolicy -RecipientRateLimit 100 -ThrottlingPolicyScope Regular

Then, apply this policy to the user, this would be to allow a finite a amount of messages to be sent from the user in one day:

Set-Mailbox UserName -ThrottlingPolicy UserPolicy 

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by timahh2 Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for that info.  I believe that will get me what I need. I do have one other question related to this.

I was looking at the following article to try and discover how many emails my Exchange DAG environment can handle at once, (to see if throttling is even necessary).

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232205(v=exchg.160).aspx

My Exchange VM's are currently running within a Cisco B-Series Chassis on a host with Xeon E5-2690 2.90 GHz Processors.  The Exchange VM's each have 2 Sockets with 1 Core per Socket, along with 24 GB of RAM on each Exchange node. 

We only have about 200 or so mailboxes, with these running on 3 different databases, (some with quotas, and a select few without).  The storage is contained within an iSCSI SAN, (an EMC VNXe).

Regarding the e-mail blasts, any thoughts on what type of approximate traffic these nodes should be able to handle?  Is throttling even necessary for these mailboxes that are performing the e-mail blasts?

I know that there's no definitive answer here, so I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:30 PM