Bad Image error when trying to install Windows 10 SDK or Visual Studio extensions RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try to install Windows 10 SDKs or Visual Studio extensions, I get a Bad Image error about igdumdim32.dll being on my computer and about it being either corrupt or just not designed to run on Windows (obviously because it's for 32 bit systems).  The file path it specifies actually has the correct one, though: igdumdim64.dll.  Hence, I presume, a "Bad Image".  I'm thinking there's a problem with the system image that makes Windows think I have the wrong file. 

Before, I was also getting the error when I tried to install NVIDIA driver updates.  That problem was solved, though, thankfully.  But the VSIX Installer giving the error when I try to install an extension or the Windows SDKs Setup giving the error when I try to install the SDKs, both of these problems still persist.

I'm currently downloading an .iso of Windows 10 so I can do a clean install, but before that I want to know how I could have DISM use it to fix the system image.  I ran that tool earlier and it seemed to have fixed the problem, but the System File Checker tool couldn't find any problems for some reason even after I'd run DISM.  And as I mentioned, the "Bad Image" problem is still there even though the System File Checker tool found no problems.  Something's definitely wrong somewhere. 

If the system image fix doesn't solve it either, I'll go ahead with a clean install of Windows 10.

Let me provide a bit more detail on the error message: It says that the file igdumdim32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error, and that I should use its installation media to reinstall it.  The error code is 0xc000007b.  I've had the error come up for VSIX Installer, NVIDIA driver installation (that one was fixed, though, it seems), and Windows 10 SDKs Setup. 

Should I just do a clean install using the .iso file I downloaded, or should I run DISM again? 

• Moved by Oscar_Wu Monday, December 12, 2016 6:49 AM related to win10 applicaiton
    Friday, December 9, 2016 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Dragon,

If it's possible, let us know the exact error message when you attempt to install the Windows SDK or extension?

Before perform the Clean installation, I suggest you backup your important data. Then perform an In-Place Upgrade installation using the official ISO to fix your Windows.

To download the official Windows 10 ISO, please access this page:

Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DragonOsman2 Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi DragonOsman,

This forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Your issue is related Windows, I will move this thread to corresponding forum for a professional answer.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2016 6:42 AM
  • Hi Dragon,

If it's possible, let us know the exact error message when you attempt to install the Windows SDK or extension?

Before perform the Clean installation, I suggest you backup your important data. Then perform an In-Place Upgrade installation using the official ISO to fix your Windows.

To download the official Windows 10 ISO, please access this page:

Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DragonOsman2 Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:55 AM
  • I put all my personal files on Google Drive and then did the installation from an official ISO.  But I didn't do a completely clean install; I chose to keep my personal files.  I'll see if it's been fixed with that, but if it hasn't, I'll just do a truly clean install while going, "Oh, to heck with it".  Wish me luck.

The exact error was pretty much as I've said.  And the window would popup three or four times.  I'd still be able to do install the extension or SDK, but I suspect that the exceptions that I was encountering with VS extensions may have been because of this somehow.

By the way, how do I clean the Windows Registry to make sure no dead links or corrupted entries stay in there?  That can sometimes be needed, too, right?

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:56 AM