none
ESENT Event ID 916 Causes Game Freeze and Eventual Crash RRS feed

• Question

• Event ID 916 has always been a prominent event in the Application log, for about as long as I've had Windows 10. I've never had cause for concern over it, though it does take up quite a bit of real estate. However, since purchasing my first Microsoft game (Sea of Thieves), I have been able to correlate freezes and eventual crashes to these events. There are a number of different instances of the event, from "DllHost" to "svchost" to "SettingSyncHost" claiming to be responsible. Sometimes there will be a flood of instances right in a row (usually during gameplay and just before a freeze).

I have done a lot of research online about this event, as well as this "EseDiskFlushConsistency" flag that says it's enabled. An example of the verbiage is here:

SettingSyncHost (7524,G,0) The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000.

And, while there are no shortage of questions on Microsoft, Technet and numerous third party forums, there are apparently ZERO solutions. No one, not even Microsoft has an answer or an explanation on how to disable this service or if it can be disabled at all. At least, as far as they're willing to offer up.

Some suggestions have been to disable any Qualcomm hardware or disable auto-trim for SSDs. Unfortunately, neither of these has worked. At this point, any explanation other than "this warning is harmless" from Microsoft themselves would be welcome.

What is ESENT?

What is EseDiskFlushConsistency?

Can EseDiskFlushConsistency be disabled? If so, how?

Can the application and/or hardware utilizing this service be determined? If so, how?

Does ESENT have any relationship with the Software Protection service?

Any light that can be shed on this issue would be WONDERFUL! I know that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems, as evidenced by a simple search for Event ID 916, EseDiskFlushConsistency or ESENT.

I will gladly post any system information that may be helpful to the cause, but at this point in my research, I've come to believe that this issue is specific to Windows 10.

Thank you in advance!

Friday, April 6, 2018 9:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Event 916 in the Application log is an Information message, so not related to any issue. The Extensible Storage Engine has been around since Windows 2000. That is not related to any problems you are seeing, it appears as Windows 10 users store apps and the search that information message does appear on Windows 10 machines.

Start and new thread for you freezing issue detailing the issue.

Saturday, April 7, 2018 8:34 PM
  • Hi. 

I appreciate the response, but there is most certainly a correlation between the ESENT event and the freezing. Even a small amount of research into this Event ID will show that this is not a lone case.

Thank you for the link to the Extensible Storage Engine. This helps explain more completely what it is responsible for. Hopefully someone else can answer my handful of other questions as well.

In my case, this is directly related to an app from the Microsoft Store (Sea of Thieves). 

To avoid muddying up the thread, I'd like to avoid guesses and assumptions.

Thank you!

Saturday, April 7, 2018 9:30 PM
  • Hi, 

Rifat Demir in this thread mentioned the solution, please refer to:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1d20cd5a-696e-4e8a-a6bc-f35b67109b99/eventid-916-esediskflushconsistency-is-enabled-in-esent?forum=win10itprogeneral

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:41 PM
    Owner
  • Initial testing after following this advice seems positive. I am holding off on giving the all clear until I've had more time to dedicate.
    Friday, April 13, 2018 8:33 PM
  • OK, just let me know if there is any update on this issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:06 AM
    Owner
  • After a little more extensive testing, I think I am comfortable saying that the steps in the links you provided helped resolve this particular issue. Thank you for your help!
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:19 PM
  • what was the solution? I look at the other article but didnt see post was the correct solution...

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:14 PM
  • The Post is the one from Sunday, April 08, 2018 11:27 AM:

I think i found the solution. Here is what i did since the beginning... 

1. Reinstall Nvidia drivers with DUD (Display driver uninstaller in safe mode)
    2. disabled the Superfetch thru services.msc
    3. Play with computer's power management and set it on high performance. +set everything on "never" so nothing can turn itself off. 
    4. and lastly... I have an ssd for my OS and an hdd for my data. My data drive named D. Go to your Computer and select D, then properties. Then there is 2 checkbox at the below. Untick the second one. I don't know what it is in English. My W10 is Turkish... I couldn't add an image because unverified account. (This makes data reading pretty slow, but you can turn it on after Microsoft release a solution for this.) 

Its been 2 competitive match in CS:GO (almost 3 hours.)  and it didnt crashed. It was crashing 2-3 times in 1 match before this solution. BTW there is still info logs in the event viewer. 

Let me know if this works for you guys. And please mark it as answer if it is so. 

P.S: I don't know which step fixed the issue. I pretty much did all things at the same time and didn't bother to test it. 
    Friday, May 25, 2018 7:38 AM
  • ok, it seems, that i have problems (seen in procmon.exe) ctfmon.exe and dllhost.exe (also shown as error in eventviewer)

they are sametimely to the freezes trying many requests to registry with several targets (input_app and so on) I used win10privacy to deaktivate unwanted apps.. could that be the error? I will try to reinstall the called apps and come back later here. SUCCL;XASOPIJ§rt3Jiopu$

Saturday, July 28, 2018 11:20 AM
  • Event 916 in the Application log is an Information message, so not related to any issue. The Extensible Storage Engine has been around since Windows 2000. That is not related to any problems you are seeing, it appears as Windows 10 users store apps and the search that information message does appear on Windows 10 machines.

Start and new thread for you freezing issue detailing the issue.

This type of answer is a slap in the face. Not everyone that posts in these forums is an idiot. In fact it's quite the opposite. From what little research I have done in the last 20 minutes it's painfully obvious that there is an issue being caused by the Extensible Storage Engine, or by whatever is causing the ESENT events in the system log. Regardless an issue exists. I am having it myself on my girlfriends laptop.

The ESENT recorded the following event over 800 times in 7 minutes earlier this evening. Almost 700 times in just 2 minutes.

"svchost (2292,G,98) The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000."

In all the event has been logged over 1800 times in the last 45 days. Something is going on here. None of the links provided or the posts listed as "answers" provide anything resembling a fix. Not even a fart in the direction of a fix. Please try to help us out. This error has turned my girlfriends laptop into a useless paperweight.

Thank you

Sunday, August 12, 2018 8:39 AM
  • Why was this marked as the answer? No solution is provided in the link
    Sunday, August 12, 2018 8:42 AM
  • You can find out what service this is from:
    the first number is the process ID: in task manager, services tab: sort by PID column, look which service is using the id.
    To find which database is written: in application even log filter by Source =ESENT, EventID = 326
    This will give you a list of events when the ESE opened a file, f.e.:
    SearchIndexer (6988,D,50) Windows: The database engine attached a database (1, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb). (Time=0 seconds) 

On my system, most of the events are from SearchIndexer, Update Orchestrator
    Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:26 PM
  • To all who have had this problem, nothing worked for me UNTIL I did a plain old-fashioned Windows Update from the control panel/settings. What's SIGNIFICANT about this (I think) is that I have AUTOMATIC updates enabled, and Windows had checked for updates only a couple of hours earlier. So it appears it took a MANUAL "Check for updates" request from me to make this happen. I was getting the ESENT error several times an hour before the update. It's now been more than 24 hours without a single one. Hope this helps someone. Love.
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:29 PM
  • Okay, MY problem with this comes and goes. It rears its ugly head just when I think it's gone for good. I've tried EVERYTHING I've found - in this thread, the linked thread, and about 50 others. IT. IS. RIDICULOUS. This shouldn't be happening on Microsoft's "Flagship, end all be all OS." 

Tonight is a perfect example. 3 weeks ago, I found a link that said that it was related to Desktop Background Slideshow settings, so I disabled my slideshow, and POOF - GONE! no issues. Tonight it's back.

I stream on Twitch. I have a second computer running my stream, and send data to it through an Elgato card and over VoiceMeter Banana. I have 6 displays configured on my primary rig, and 1 on my stream rig. the 1 display is shared between both PCs. I flip the input from the main rig to the stream rig when I'm streaming and when I need to see the stream PC. TONIGHT, when I flip the display to the stream rig, THE STUTTER COMES BACK. Every 6 seconds, for 2 seconds, the entire PC - except for any buffered videos(youtube or twitch tested) - locks up, then comes back after the two seconds. F'ING Frustrating. I couldn't figure out what was causing until I tried to run a Manual Update - Per brybanks suggestion above. It found no updates. The catch? I had to flip the display back to my main machine to see the settings page - it opened on that screen. when it was done searching for updates and said I was up to date, the stutter was GONE!  "I thought, there's no way that worked." But I couldn't get it to come back. then I went back to what I was doing and switched the Display over to the stream PC - STUTTER came back on main PC.

The stutter for me has to be related to video somehow.

This machine is running a brand new Ryzen 5 2600x on an ASUS tuf motherboard, and a Radeon RX580 video card.

FYI - Before the last major WIN10 update? NO STUTTER EVER.

Also a "by the way" - I'm not an idiot. 23 years in I.T. industry, doing everything from desktop support to Enterprise Infrastructure and Network Administration - MSP, MCSE, MSP+ and a few other alphabet combos. I have never been LESS impressed with a Microsoft OS - yes, Even Windows ME.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:44 AM
  • Hi, here we are again!

:D

:[

OK

The error occurs again and again, with new windows and with new software too.

I am out with my latin.

The last idea was from me: watching with procmon.exe and see, that the taskhostw.exe calls severals (spams) registry calls while the errors and lags happen.

I stopped several processes, reinstalled all custom M$-Spam apps in powershell again .... and so on...

Tried also SSD Firmware update. Tried also a new installation under GPT Standards. Not any result.

It seems, that the Esent916 error comes from the taskhostw.exe

Microsoft should react and watch that phenomen.

Over and out.

PS: After using 'saving energy' and starting out of it, it never happens again. Only after a complete restart/reboot.

• Edited by Gregor13187 Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:23 PM
    Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:15 PM
  • OKAY ... I try and try... last try was:

Setting the energy plan to full power and restarted.

It seems, that there has went in quitness in my virtual life.

But.... I tried so many times things... lets see what happens.

See ya

Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:44 PM
  • Hello Gregor. 

I'm having this problem. Actually i posted on reddit but no solution yet.

Could you please check this link? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgamingtechsupport/comments/a4wrup/hardware_problems_games_freeze_for_seconds_and/

I will appreciate that if you find a solution, please let me know. I will definitely do the same.

Waiting for your comments,

THANKS

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:00 AM
  • Hello Gregor. 

I'm having this problem. Actually i posted on reddit but no solution yet.

Could you please check this link? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgamingtechsupport/comments/a4wrup/hardware_problems_games_freeze_for_seconds_and/

I will appreciate that if you find a solution, please let me know. I will definitely do the same.

Waiting for your comments,

THANKS

I did.

Sounds like, the very same problem. Did you tried the performance settings? My very last try was the setting to maximum performance in the energy plan settings.And since then it worked for me.BTW. its an old windows problem. I think it's related to the pci-express bus and it's drivers. but changing the driver from board own to windows ones, doesn't fix the problem. Whatever. It worked since 30 hours for me. I only still have very small lags after restarting, 3 times maybe. But in the opposite to before it is nothing. I can watch it when I change the energy saving plan to balanced, it begins again. The error code in the event manager also has been disappeared.

Let me know, if it worked for you. I guess, you have been tried it now but are not sure, if it worked the last 5 hours since your last post.

bye

• Edited by Gregor13187 Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:42 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Hey. It runned better. Tell me the results of your tryouts, if you set the performance to maximum

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:31 PM
  • i have exactly the same system, asrock b450 mother board, ryzen 2600 and asrock RX580
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:51 PM
  • Hey. It runned better. Tell me the results of your tryouts, if you set the performance to maximum

deinstalled kaspersky and full success resulted
    Friday, May 10, 2019 1:39 PM
  • I don't see any fix in the link you provided, just a bunch of things to try that did not work.   and I'm still having this issue too.  Not sure why this is checked as a solution...
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 12:50 AM