IE8 is simply unusable...??? RRS feed

• Question

• To make it clear, I'm using FF but for some pages I still have to switch to IE, since W7 comes with IE8 I have no reason to delete, remove or upgrade to the newest version of IE, I'm using the latest RC of W7, so I was thinking everything is cool....wrong, my IE8 is simply unable to access inet, my shortcuts are gone, there is no option to uninstall and there is no way to download a version for W7 so I could reinstall it, even if I try using IEtab on FF it simply doesn't connect, I have checked the Windows firewall and everything looks ok, but still no good, what's going on? is this going to be the new PITA for the new version of Windows???

I hope somebody can help me to get this thing fix, thanks.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Fenrry,

What’s the error message you encountered when trying to access the Internet via Internet Explorer 8 (IE8)?

To create a shortcut for IE8, you can click Start, All Programs, right click Internet Explorer, click Sent to and Desktop (create shortcut). Now, the IE8 shortcut is created on your desktop.

Since IE8 is built-in in Windows 7, you cannot uninstall and reinstall it. I suggest you reset Internet Explorer 8 settings to check the issue first.

I also suggest you run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) to check if it works, if it does not work. You may click Start, type Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Search bar and press Enter.

What’s the result? If IE works, the cause can be the add-ons. If so, you can disable the add-ons one by one to find out the root cause and delete it. For more information, please read this article: Internet Explorer add-ons: frequently asked questions.

If the issue persists, please upload a screenshot of the symptom and the System Information to SkyDrive and provide us the link.

How to capture a screenshot

===============
    1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click the Start menu, type mspaint in the Search bar and Press Enter.
    3. In the Paint program, click the Edit menu, click Paste, click the Fil" menu, and click Save.
    4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
    5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

How to collect the System Information

===============

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Ok, I got it to work again, after running updates and installing an update things were back to normal, it doesn't explain why IE8 was not working, I find this to be a major issue, IE should be allowed to uninstall or reinstall in case something like this ever happen.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:01 AM

All replies

• You have to be a little more precise, what happens when you try to view a site in IE8? Is it all sites you have trouble with?
    What shortcuts are you talking about? Do you mean Favorites instead?
    As you can surmise from the lack of talk about it here, it is not a general problem so the problem is local to your particular setup.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:41 PM
  • IE8 doesn't work, all sites, the shortcuts I refer are the default IE8 desktop shortcuts, I never had any issue before.

Is there any way to uninstall IE8 or reinstall it?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Hi Fenrry,

What’s the error message you encountered when trying to access the Internet via Internet Explorer 8 (IE8)?

To create a shortcut for IE8, you can click Start, All Programs, right click Internet Explorer, click Sent to and Desktop (create shortcut). Now, the IE8 shortcut is created on your desktop.

Since IE8 is built-in in Windows 7, you cannot uninstall and reinstall it. I suggest you reset Internet Explorer 8 settings to check the issue first.

I also suggest you run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) to check if it works, if it does not work. You may click Start, type Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Search bar and press Enter.

What’s the result? If IE works, the cause can be the add-ons. If so, you can disable the add-ons one by one to find out the root cause and delete it. For more information, please read this article: Internet Explorer add-ons: frequently asked questions.

If the issue persists, please upload a screenshot of the symptom and the System Information to SkyDrive and provide us the link.

How to capture a screenshot

===============
    1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click the Start menu, type mspaint in the Search bar and Press Enter.
    3. In the Paint program, click the Edit menu, click Paste, click the Fil" menu, and click Save.
    4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
    5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

How to collect the System Information

===============

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Ok, I got it to work again, after running updates and installing an update things were back to normal, it doesn't explain why IE8 was not working, I find this to be a major issue, IE should be allowed to uninstall or reinstall in case something like this ever happen.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:01 AM