Cannot play Anastasia: Adventures of Pooka and Bartok on my PC. Which is Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to make this game compatible with my PC ! However, although I have DirectX it says I'm missing Direct3D and Old DirectPlay subcomponents of DirectX, while the installation is ending. And though it installs, the game opens and the screen adjusts to the size 640x480 showing my desktop. And then after a black screen my PC gives up on trying to make it work! I have problems like this all the time since I also want to play my old games. That's why I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 installed to one computer on separate drives. Is there a way that I can reminisce with my old games of my early childhood?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• The version of DirectX that is installed with Win7 seems to lack some of the old DirectX files. You could try installing the latest DirectX update. I tend to keep the redistrubutable version around:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553

but it's a 100MB download. I've run it without harm on both X86 (32 bit) and X64 versions of Win7.

The online installer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

will probably download much less.

I'm not optimistic that this will enable you to run a game from 1999. I suppose that you've already tried the various compatibility modes. (Maybe you'd really want a Windows 3.1 mode. ;-)
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

What is the result after installing the DirectX update? 

Here is the detailed steps to run the Program in Compatibility Mode and check the result.

1. Right click on the program's shortcut, .exe file, or installation program.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab.  NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed

4. To Run a Program in Compatibility Mode -
    NOTE: Runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Try this setting if you know the program is designed for (or worked in) a specific previous version of Windows.
    A) Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box.

B) Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the program was made for. Suggest Windows XP (SP3)
    NOTE: Always pick the latest Windows version the program was written for to have a better chance of it running properly in Windows 7.

5. To Change the Settings for a Program -
    A) Check or uncheck the settings you want for the program.

6. To Change the Privilege Level of a Program -
    NOTE: Runs the program as an administrator. Some programs require administrator privileges to run properly. If you are not currently logged on as an administrator, this option is not available.
    A) Check or uncheck the Run this program as an administrator box to enable or disable this option. 

7. To Change All of These Settings Above for All Users -
    NOTE: Lets you choose settings that will apply to all users on this computer.
    A) Click on the Change settings for all users button.
    B) Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 in this window to apply them to all users on the computer. 

C) Click on OK.
    8. Click on OK to apply the changes.

In addition, if both of the methods do not work, you can consider using the windows XP mode to run this game.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/get-started.aspx

Monday, January 18, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Thank you all for your interest, I personally was pretty desperate about whether anyone would hear my call for help! I'm downloading the directX pack now, and I have tried to run the game in various compatibility modes but it doesn't work. Yesterday after posting here, I deleted my windows 7 x86 version and installed windows 2000 instead. However, after the installation it still asked me to install some more components in order to play the game. Then, it shows me a box where it show thw DirectX subcomponents and everything but Direct3D is certified, but Direct3D is said to be "not installed". But when I run dxdiag the Direct3D is installed and all of the tests are successful! I then gave up on evrything and also deleted win2000, but when I saw your replies I installed x86 win 7 again to see if your advices would work!

I also tried the game on my winXP laptop, but the same thing as win2000 happens and the game doesn't open since it sees Direct3D as "not installed". The game used to work on my old computer with windows 98 installed, so I think win98 compatibility mode should work.

OK! I downloaded the DirectX pack you suggested, but it didn't make a difference I placed the files in my NVIDIA folder in driver D. I found a directX folder inside the game CD, but it opens up the same box I mentioned before, with "certified" and "not installed" tags. Old DirectPlay and Direct3D are not installed, and there is a reinstall DirectX button below, which just opens a message box saying "Direct X setup has completed successfully" but doesn't seem to make a difference. Also, there is a program called DX Tool inside the CD, which says "DirectX 0 is installed" at the top and shows the versions of Direct3D and other DirectX subcomponents. The version of all of them is "6.01.7600.1638 DirectX 0".

I don't have windows XP mode and I don't think it will work, since it doesn't work in windows XP anyhow. There has to be a solution to this problem!

I'll also give my system info, to give you insight:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    RAM: 2.00 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
    Gaming Graphics: 1279 MB Total available graphics memory
    Primary hard disk: 42GB Free (51GB Total)
    Number of processor cores : 2
    Total Size of HARD Disks: 149 GB
    Display adapter driver version: 8.15.11.8593
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0 or better

Thanks again for your interests! Wishing for a solution :S
    P.S. My DirectX version is 11!

Monday, January 18, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Sorry it didn't help.

Correction: the game is from 1997, not 1999.

Perhaps you'd need to run Windows 3.1 or 95 in a virtual machine.

I've not tried it, but it appears that you can install the VM needed for "XP Mode" and use it for other OSes.

http://forum.mintywhite.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1577&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

(I'm not sure, but I believe that you don't need Win7 Pro or Ultimate to install the VM. Those versions may be needed to qualify for the free XP license for XP mode, though.)

Should that not do it for you, there's the freeware VirtualBox:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

It all sounds a little crazy to me, but if you have the time...
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Have you ever tried installing the game on another PC? Not knowing if the installation CD is corrupted or your PC contains corruption.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try the VM and VirtualBox advice as soon as possible and inform you of the result (in a few days). It seems like a plausible and logical way, creating a win95 environment.
    I did try to play the game in another PC (my laptop, actually). It gave the same result as my Windows 2000 trial. I got the warning to install Direct3D though it is already installed. My Laptop is windows XP, and also uses NVidia as the graphics card. I don't understand how installing the DirectX cabinet files didn't work (I had my hopes up). Maybe the CD is corrupted I don't know, but it worked fine years ago! I think the win95 VM strategy might work, and it isn't related to any corruption, but compatibility issues!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:54 PM
  • I think usually it's games that provide DX 9 without Managed DirectX. Download and install DirectX 9 again from Microsoft's site on the windows XP, it should include Managed DirectX. When you extract the redistibutable to a temp directory, it places a .cab file there with managed dx ms installer file in it.

Friday, January 22, 2010 10:31 AM
  • A how-to showing how to play Windows 95/98 games in Virtual PC 2007 (Windows XP/Vista/7)

Virtual PC 2007 retro gaming :)

Played the classics "Neverhood" and "Dune 2000" this weekend in VPC2007 - worked smoothly!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:07 PM