none
File not found in Link Between Projects Window - test no edit rights to other file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am doing a test to see if i can create a link by typing the link path (f.i. <>\plan2\1) in the predecessor column without having edit rights to the other plan.

I expect this to be possible as the edit in the other plan (creation of link) is only done after the change is accepted through the LBP (link between projects) window. Besides, when i do it to both my own plans, in this LBP window i get 'create external link' as difference to accept.

When I do it on Project Server 2010 to a plan I do not own or having edit rights on, I got the message 'file not found'.

Is this message related to what I am trying or does it have another cause?

Does someone know if what I want can be done?

Rgds

Sander

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Sander,

I get same error if I try to add external link to the plan I do not have access to. I believe access to other plan is required as creating external link process need to add "Successor" information in other plan. When you create a external link, you will also see "Opening <Other Project Name>" on the status bar. It means this process opens the other project to update the link information.

Thank you,

Kiran K.

Friday, February 21, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Hi Kiran,

Thanks - is anyone able to confirm that the path needs to be 'validated' and for this access to the other plan is required?

Rgds

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Hi Sander,

I confirm that for creating a link between projects, you need to have access in read-write to both files.

Indeed creating such a link will write in both files information about successors (in the source file) and predecessors (in the destination file).

Note that if you only need to update the successor, you don't need anymore to open in read-write mode the source file, since you won't write any more information in it.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:50 PM