none
Project Online - pre-purchase questions RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering a trial of this Project Online which I understand is a PPM in the cloud. However, documentation seems scarce so before I invest in a time costly trial period, I'd like to ask a few questions. 

First: We're interested in a solution that is designed for both the team member and the executive. I see the reports and resource balancing that would be beneficial for the executive.  Would this product also provide the team members with their "to-do" list of tasks?  Additionally, is there a way to log non-project related tasks? 

Second: Is there some sort of running view of what tasks each team member is (or should be) working on? We're thinking of a cross-project filter-able list of tasks due soon or overdue. Better yet, is there a designation of what project tasks are available to work on (ie, all predecessors are complete)? 

Third: Our IT squad is development only and would not be able to support set up or operations. Could a super-user handle the launch and implementation of this tool? 

Much obliged,

Beth Singley

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:32 PM

All replies

•  

Beth,

Answer to your both question is YES.

You can define different groups and configure group specific security. Please refer following TechNet to know more about default group permissions in Project Server 2013 when set to "Project Server Permission Mode"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197658.aspx

SharePoint Permission Mode

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219510.aspx

To answer your second question, when resource is assigned to a task you will be able to see all of his current tasks from different projects on his my timesheet page or Tasks page

Again you can create different views and can specify which group is allowed see specific view

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Thanks Hrishi!

I do have a couple of follow up questions for you. Both of the links you sent me were for Project Server 2013. Are these valid instructions if I'm using Project Online? 

We do not plan to run Sharepoint or Project Server independent of Project Online. It's my understanding that Project Online would encompass a lot of the features found in both of these products and might satisfy our needs without further software. I'm hoping that the features I've asked about are relatively "out of the box" requiring little to no customization. Is that a true assumption?  

However, I've now discovered that I cannot "try" Project Online. I must buy it outright in order to test. Is there any way to get a trial period for this? 

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:32 PM
  •  

You will get most of on-prem features with Project online, except reporting like SSRS

Yes, might be able to alive using out of box of very little customization.

I am not aware about how you can get trail, but you could purchase the subscription and if you cancel within 30 days you will get full refund. Make sure to verify refund policy before making any decision

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Hello, You can get a 90 day trial: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/archive/2013/06/27/project-online-how-do-i-get-a-trial.aspx Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:45 PM
  • there you go, Thanks Paul

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:16 PM
  • Hi Paul! 

Thanks for this link. It seems like I need to go through a MS Partner to get a trial. That would work except that I'm looking at Project Online specifically because we were unhappy with one of the partner's  "tailored" PPM products. I am hoping that Project Online would be a tighter integration and be faster interface. The PPM product we're leaving would take 8-10 seconds to load each page, which is untenable.

I think the purchase and cancel option might be the way to go. I just want to see what's available straight from Microsoft. It would take me a weekend to see if it's worth the effort to switch and get up and running.

One other question: the demo videos dont' really display the team member experience (task lists, timesheets, etc). Do you know of any how-to video or demo or screengrab that would display these? 

Thanks for all your help.   

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Hello, Where abouts are you located? You could try another Microsoft PPM partner? Or at least speak to another partner so that they can understand your requirements and issues with your current tool, even speak to a few partners to see if they all suggest the same. I think the 90 day trial would be so much more beneficial and allow full evaluation before purchasing the product. Thanks Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:10 AM
  • Paul,

Thanks again for your help. 

We are in North Carolina. I am glad to reach out to another partner if I could get the trial 90 days Project Online. We are a small tech company that runs (mostly) repeatable projects but we have high expectations for any new tool that we take on. It seems odd to have to reach out to a partner in order to get a free trial of software that we might eventually buy straight from MS.

I've spent the last few days heads down in sharepoint and 365 remembering how to set up sites and projects. If Project Online from MS would do the heavy lifting of the aggregation and distribution of tasks, I'd be willing to advocate for implementation. 

Is there any one partner in particular that you would recommend? 

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:02 PM