Microsoft Office 2010 – Requested Operation Failed RRS feed

• Question

• Recently purchased a refurbished HP Workstation with Windows 7 Professional.  We still have an older HP Tower also with Windows 7 Professional.  Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus was easy to install on the old HP Tower and works fine.  On the refurbished HP Workstation installing Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus was not a problem.  However, after entering the same email information on Microsoft Outlook, including advanced settings, clicking the Test Account Settings, which is successful, when I click the Next button, I get an error message “The requested operation failed”.  None of the More Settings are saved.  What can I do about this aside from taking the workstation in for repair.  Otherwise, the workstation has much more space than the old tower and other functions like Microsoft Word are fine.

FYI, the software is from a genuine Microsoft DVD and was activated with a valid product key.

Thanks,

Robin

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:20 PM

Answers

• Answer:

Uninstall Microsoft Office Professional 2010.  The setup.exe default is for a 32 bit operating system.  Enter DVD.  Select Open folder to view files.  Select x64.  Click setup.exe under x64.  Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Access are now for a 64 bit operating system.

Robin Rembish

• Marked as answer by RobinNJ Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Robin,

Since this forum focuses more on questions related to Office desktop applications, if you need further assistance on this problem, I'd like to help you move the thread to the following forum: Outlook IT Pro Discussions. You may get more helpful replies there.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your kind understanding.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:19 AM
  • Hi Robin ,

Before going further, please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook 2010 to the latest version.

>> When I click the Next button, I get an error message “The requested operation failed”.
    I did some research and found some information related to youe issue. In order to conduct further researches, please try the following suggestions and see if the issue has any difference:

1. As I know, there are several methods for us to add our email account to Outlook client. Please try other ways such as via Control Panel > Mail > Email Accounts > New and see if it works.
    2. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    3. A corrupted profile can lead this issue, so please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

For more information about this issue, please check this thread: Outlook 2010: "The Requested Operation Failed".

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:02 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 26, 2020 9:36 AM
  • Jeff,

Thank you for responding.  I went to the control panel, clicked on Mail (x32) and was able to enter the email information successfully, including click on the Next button and Finish.  The odd thing is that I have a 64 bit operating system and I saw no option for Mail (x64).

When I clicked the Microsoft icon on the desktop, I got:

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?  I clicked yes.  Then I got the message:

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook Window.  The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store could not be opened.

Please help with this incompatibility problem.

Thanks,

Robin

Friday, June 26, 2020 5:12 PM
  • Jeff,

According to slipstick:

Note: if you use a 32-bit version of Outlook 2010 or 2013 on 64-bit version of Windows, the Mail icon is labeled "Mail (32-bit)".

However, since going through the Control Panel doesn't help, I removed the email.  Also, the box for Microsoft Office Professional 2010 makes no mention of a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system.

Robin

Friday, June 26, 2020 10:39 PM
  • Jeff,

I looked at the help tab of Word in Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus.  It states:

Version: 14.0.7252.5000 (32-bit)

According to Google, the 32-bit and 64 bit versions Of Office aren't compatible, so you can't install both on the same computer.

How can I be certain I'm getting a genuine Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus 64 bit version?

Robin

Saturday, June 27, 2020 1:14 PM
  • Hi Robin ,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook Window.  The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store could not be opened.
    Have you tried those other suggestions I mentioned before?
    I did some research about this error you mentioned, please try the workarounds mentioned in this article and see if your issue could be resolved: I can’t start Microsoft Outlook.

>> The odd thing is that I have a 64 bit operating system and I saw no option for Mail (x64).
    Just as you mentioned, the Mail icon is based on  your Outlook bit version. Do you have multiple versions of Outlook in your computer at the same time?

As I know, usually we will only have one Mail icon in Control Panel. If your issue still continues after trying those suggestions mentioned above, I'm afraid there might be something wrong with your Outlook client, if possible, it is suggested to completely uninstall your Office and reinstall it to see if your issue could be resolved.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:24 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Saturday, July 4, 2020 5:55 AM
  • Answer:

Uninstall Microsoft Office Professional 2010.  The setup.exe default is for a 32 bit operating system.  Enter DVD.  Select Open folder to view files.  Select x64.  Click setup.exe under x64.  Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Access are now for a 64 bit operating system.

Robin Rembish

• Marked as answer by RobinNJ Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:36 PM