Error saving .vsd to .pdf and into another library RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .vsd file (Vision 2010) stored in a document library on our MOSS 2007 intranet site.  I am trying to save the different pages in the Visio file as PDFs and save them into another library in a subsite. This other library is set up with versioning. Since this other library already contains the same PDF; I would be adding this new one as a new version. I navigate to this other library withing the Save As dialog box.  It seems like it is saving fine, but then I get a error  "Visio error 3400, action 1005."  I can save the PDF to this library if I give it another name, so it has something to do with the versioning (saving as the same file name that is already there).  Greatly appreciate any advice.

Edit- I just tried this same procedure with a Word doc saving as PDF to another library.  The end result was the same, but the error was different.  "Export failed due to unexpected error."

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, August 29, 2011 7:12 PM not ecm just normal admin as far as I can see (From:SharePoint - Enterprise Content Management (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, August 29, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

• Hi run4it,

Please go to SharePoint site library->Settings->Document Library Settings->Version Settings, in the Document Library Versioning settings page, check whether “Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited” is set to be Yes, if so, please set to No and check again.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi run4it,

Please go to SharePoint site library->Settings->Document Library Settings->Version Settings, in the Document Library Versioning settings page, check whether “Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited” is set to be Yes, if so, please set to No and check again.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Abandon current edit session, open previously save file and re-edit.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Qiao - I tested as you suggested. Your suspicion proved correct; the error is a result of the destination library requiring check out before editing.  I suspose there is no way to skirt that issue and that users will have to save the PDF to a destination outside SharePoint (such as their desktop), then upload directly into the library.

On a library that requires checkout for edit, how does SP "check out" that document when a new one is uploaded to replace it?

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:20 PM
  • HI,

Follow this:

1. Save the pdf created to your local machine instead of the sharepoint site.

2. Now use upload option to upload into the document library with new version.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Qiao WeiModerator Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by run4it Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:45 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:50 AM