X-Windows Mouse and Background Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

How do I set Vista set my mouse to be an X-mouse much like the TWEAKUI of XP? I have already gone through the "EASE OF USE" link on the Control Panel and set the active window to follow the mouse but this, unfortunately, brings the window to the foreground.  I want to keep the window in the background yet still be active.  How do I do this.  TWEAKVI did not work either nor did trying to use regedit to set ActiveWindowTracking (though it kept the value as a hex rather than purely as a decimal as I wanted).  Thanks.

Russell Weisfield

Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Russell, you can refer to the following article and enable X-mouse in Windows Vista:

Trick to Enable X-Mouse(Windows Follow Mouse) Feature in Windows Vista

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/trick-to-enable-x-mousewindows-follow-mouse-feature-in-windows-vista/othersoftware

Hope this helps!  

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:44 AM
  • This registry trick just seems to change the ease of access setting in the control panel.  In other words it still brings the window to the foreground (and on top of other windows).  I don't want it in the foreground.  Is there a way in VISTA to activate a window without bringing it to the foreground?  Thanks.

Russell
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 3:30 PM
  •  

Then, you may need to achieve this by using third party theme program. Based on my experience, some third party theme along with theme program provides the function to focus on the background.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, March 9, 2009 8:15 AM