none
IE10: WebCacheV01.dat / WebCacheV24.dat not unlocked during logoff RRS feed

• Question

• We are using 3rd party software to capture changes to user profiles (Res Workspace Manager 2012, previously called PowerFuse). Our OS is Windows 7 which we run in a VDI environment.

After replacing IE9 with IE10, the performance of the browser has increased a lot - hence happier users.

However it appears that RES is unable to capture the Internet Explore 10 history and cookies. These are stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat or WebCachev24.dat. This 32 MB file is not released until several minutes after logoff.

Is there a way to have these files being unlocked/released earlier? We really appreciate IE10 so downgrading to IE9 is something we try to avoid.

The file is locked by taskhost.exe.

• Edited by it-coordinator Friday, April 26, 2013 12:27 PM Add lock source
    Friday, April 26, 2013 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We have no control over third-party addons. Does the issue disappear if your remove RES?

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

As Rob said, we have no information about third party add-ons. I suggest you remove the 3rd party software to verify.

In addition, for third party related issue, you can post it via their support forum.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 29, 2013 3:10 AM
  • No, it does not, because it is not related. It's not an add-on either. It's a desktop management product.

In the logoff phase, this software waits for the file to be unlocked. This has worked for all browsers up to IE9. In IE10, it has stopped working because the file remains locked by Windows until several minutes after logoff.

Again, the issue is with Windows not unlocking the IE10 webcache file the way it should.

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:03 AM
  • support.microsoft.com

Rob^_^

Monday, April 29, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

As Rob said, we have no information about third party add-ons. I suggest you remove the 3rd party software to verify.

In addition, for third party related issue, you can post it via their support forum.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat or WebCachev24.dat.

Read his post It's IE10 He wants to know how to unlock it during logoff ... Heck with that my machine my information HOW can it be accessed WHILE logged on? nothing should be locked from me NADDA zilch zero. Let's look at this from a parenting stand point is there information in there that will tell me where my Children and/or GrandChildren are Visiting?

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Did you ever solved this ? I have the same issue, RES can't solve this because it's a microsoft issue.
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:32 AM
  • http://www.rorydeleur.nl/2014/10/microsoft-wont-give-me-my-cookies/

Here's a working solution.  I have this working with Windows 7 x64 on non-persistent VDI (Citrix XD) using RES Workspace Manager 2014.  

The "key" to the whole thing is stopping the scheduled task that exclusively locks the WebCacheV01.dat file:

# Stop Scheduledtask
    schtasks /end /tn "\Microsoft\Windows\Wininet\CacheTask" 

When you stop the task (at logoff), you are able to copy the files in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Webcache folder.  The best part of the whole thing is that are no elevated permission requirements.  I've only just begun testing this, but it works well between non-persistent sessions.   I just need to monitor/evaluate the reliability.

Edit:  We are using a powershell "Execute Command" at logon and logoff to copy the cookies and webcache folders to and from the user profile share, and not "User Settings" in RES to capture the files.  Details in the link above.

• Proposed as answer by tmassa99 Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:51 AM
    • Edited by tmassa99 Monday, November 3, 2014 1:23 PM Add RES clarification
    Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:50 AM