locked
Why is there a huge difference between the file sizes of Current storgage used and Estimated Disk Space Required? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Greetings Programs.

    I am having issues with the backup operation handeld through Central Admin. SharePoint keeps telling me that WSS_Search_SERVERNAME failed. It is failing because it looks like it does not exist. Funny enough the Windows SharePoint Services Help Search looks pretty good, it states that the status is running and has the WSS_Search_SERVERNAME set as the database name on the current server but I cannot see it with SQL Management studio. But I digress, that is not the main purpose of this conversation (plea for help). When I look at  the Site Collection Quotas and Locks, SharePoint 2007 tells me my Current storage used: 1909 MB. However, when I set up the back through Perform a Backup, SharePoint tells me the Estimated Disk Space Required: 46.68 GB.

    One of the ways I tried to cut this backup down to size and alleviate the above issue with WSS_Search_SERVERNAME was to remove the Windows SharePoint Services Help Search component from the Perform a Backup screen. This does not work as it seems to be all of the farm or just one component. At least for me.

    Thank you.


    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 25, 2011 2:53 PM ask questions. Don't offer beer.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:46 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

     

    According to your narration, you found that the file size of current storage used and estimated disk space size are inconsistent. It seems that the The "DiskUsed" value in the "Sites" table for the site collection in question ever becomes incorrect.

     

    Both the "Space Used" value on the "Storage Space Allocation site (_layouts/storman.aspx), and the "Current storage used" value under "Site

    Collection Quotas and Locks" in central administration get their value directly from the "DiskUsed" value in the Sites table.

     

    A workaround is using RecalculateStorageUsed in SharePoint Object Model.

     

    You could ask your developers to develop a console / WinForm / WebForm solution for you by using RecalculateStorageUsed.

     

    More information:

     

    SPSite.RecalculateStorageUsed Method

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.spsite.recalculatestorageused(office.12).aspx

     

    SPSite.RecalculateStorageUsed Method

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.spsite.recalculatestorageused.aspx

     

    SPSite Methods

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.spsite_methods.aspx

     

    Thanks,

    Rock Wang

    Forum Support

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Rock Wang. I will investigate the development of a tool that will use RecalculateStorageUsed. Here is another peice of the puzzle I did not mention in my first post, when I perform the backup through Central Admininstration, the size of the backup is around 2.7 - 3 GB. This is more consistent with the "Current Storage Used" of 1.913 MB when considering the additional SQL data (such as log files) that are included in the backup.

    And thank you Mike for the edit. I was just trying to be friendly but I understand your point.

    Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

     

    Thanks for your reply.

     

    Just want to tell you that we have involved some senior engineers on this issue, and will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patient.

     

    Thanks,

    Rock Wang

    Forum Support

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Hello John,

    There appears to be something wrong with your "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search" and the related database although it may be reporting status as "OK".

    Do you know if your organization even uses "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search" service?
    (Note: If you are using Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) and using its own Office SharePoint Server Search [OSEARCH], thats what is used for all search related activities. If the OSEARCH is functional then "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search" is just used to search against in-procuct help files provided alongwith SharePoint (blue color question mark icon on top right side)

    If you do not really use this "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search" then I would suggest you unprovision the service by stopping it from Central Admin and re-provision if needed. Please note, doing this will remove all data related to "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search" however OSEARCH will not be affected. Once this is done, you can try performing a backup and see how it goes.

    And yes, when taking the entire farm backup you do not have the option to remove a single component (and hence the word "farm  backup"). So, either its farm backup or backup individual components, which is by-design.

    You can use stsadm -o enumsites to see how big a Site is and the backup would be around that size. Please note this is just an estimate and real size may vary a bit.

    Hope this helps.

     


    Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:23 AM
    Moderator