Windows 7 MDT deployment onto systems with 2 disks. RRS feed

• Question

• I hope someone can help me with this, as it's the last barrier to rolliny Windows 7 out across my network.

I have a few classrooms at the school I work which have 2 local hard drives for use in video editing. A smaller hard drive for the OS, and a larger hard drive for the Video files.

When I deploy/refresh windows 7, I need the data on the larger hard drive to remain intact, and be availiable when the computer is rebuilt.

On all the motherboards, the smaller H/D is plugged into SATA0, and the larger SATA1

A normal deployment will work fine in two of my rooms, with the smaller drive containing the 200Mb boot partition, and the rest the OS. The seconad large hard drive is untouched and availiable for use after the install.

In one of the rooms using the same task sequence, for some reason Windows 7 installs onto the larger hard drive, obliterating the video files, and leaving the old OS drive alone. When Win 7 reboots, the D: drive contains the old OS files.

Could anyone suggest a way around this? I'm using the MDT database if that helps.

I have looked into duplicating the "Format and Partition Disk" task sequence, and having one which formats disk 0 using a WMI query to detect if disk 0 is the smaller, and another which formats drive 1 if the WMI query detects disk 1 as the smaller.

I would need to do the same with the "Install Operating System" task sequence.

Unfortionatly I do not know if this would work, or have the WMI skills to get it to work.

Could anyone help with this problem ?

Also, if possible I would like the "video Disk" to have drive letter R: once the deployment is finished.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Martin Robson

Network Manager

William Howard School

• Moved by Dale Qiao Monday, July 5, 2010 1:38 AM Windows 7 Deployment issue (From:Windows Vista Deployment and Imaging)
    Friday, July 2, 2010 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

It seems that the larger hard drive is set as the master hard drive, while the smaller one is set as the slave disk. Please check the ports on hard drives, manually jump the smaller hard disk as the master drive, then set it as active. During the deployment, you can try disconnecting the large hard disk. After completing the installation, connect the large hard disk again.

BTW, to change the drive letter for the drive, you could use DiskPart to create a script by saving it to a text file and by storing it in the same location as your image. Then run the script from a Windows PE command prompt.

References:

How do I assign a drive letter in the Format and Partition Disk step?

Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, July 8, 2010 3:19 AM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 2:39 AM