none
using a summary task as the start point for a later summary task RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to project.

I am working on a product design project. I have, amongst others, two summary tasks

1. Design Bearing. This comprises of tasks D1, D2, D3
    2. Manufacture Bearing. This comprises tasks M1, M2, M3

I want to link these two so that manufacturing does not start until all the tasks in Design have finished.
    I've tried dragging a link from Summary Design bearing to summary Manufacture bearing, however even though I get an arrow between the two the 2nd task just starts at the beginning of the project, not after the design tasks.

Anyone help me on this

Cheers

Andy

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 12:16 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately adding a milestone like that does not deliver what's needed. " manufacturing does not start until all the tasks in Design have finished". So you need to link all the sub tasks to the milestone as design tasks especially have a habit for finishing at varying finish dates and often run in parallel. So any one of the tasks could finish last, hence the need for extra links.

Now if none of the second summary tasks can start until all the design tasks have finished, and if any of them could be started first (not just one) then you need to have a start milestone that drives all the sub tasks. So in the above we need two extra milestone tasks and 6 links.

When none of the tasks in a summary can start until all the tasks in a preceding summary are finished, I always link the summary tasks. Much simpler and it communicates clearly what has to happen with just one link.

So Andy, it looks like you either have automatic calculation turned off, see Tools, Options, Schedule and scroll to the Calculate section or one or more of your tasks are set to manual mode. Select all tasks then click Task, Auto Schedule.

In the status bar at the bottom of the Project window click New tasks and select Auto-scheduled.

Happy scheduling!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Marked as answer by AndyNakamura Thursday, July 2, 2015 7:00 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2015 1:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

A best practice is to NEVER create a dependency (successors and predecessors) to summary tasks. Here is what I advice: create a milestone "end of design" linked to D3. Then link M1 to this milestone. Doing this, you are sure that the manufacturing tasks will not start before the design is completed.

The summary tasks by default start when the earliest subtask starts and ends when the latest task finishes. Thus you have no need to link summary tasks.

You can either type the task ID in the predecessor column or select the 2 tasks to be linked press CTRL key and click on the link icon in the ribbon.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Unfortunately adding a milestone like that does not deliver what's needed. " manufacturing does not start until all the tasks in Design have finished". So you need to link all the sub tasks to the milestone as design tasks especially have a habit for finishing at varying finish dates and often run in parallel. So any one of the tasks could finish last, hence the need for extra links.

Now if none of the second summary tasks can start until all the design tasks have finished, and if any of them could be started first (not just one) then you need to have a start milestone that drives all the sub tasks. So in the above we need two extra milestone tasks and 6 links.

When none of the tasks in a summary can start until all the tasks in a preceding summary are finished, I always link the summary tasks. Much simpler and it communicates clearly what has to happen with just one link.

So Andy, it looks like you either have automatic calculation turned off, see Tools, Options, Schedule and scroll to the Calculate section or one or more of your tasks are set to manual mode. Select all tasks then click Task, Auto Schedule.

In the status bar at the bottom of the Project window click New tasks and select Auto-scheduled.

Happy scheduling!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Marked as answer by AndyNakamura Thursday, July 2, 2015 7:00 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2015 1:01 AM
  • Hi,

It does seem that some of the tasks had become manual (I'm sure they were originally auto). Anyway it seems to be working as expected now.

Thanks

Thursday, July 2, 2015 7:00 AM