none
SCCM 2012 SP1 software updates duplication RRS feed

• Question

• If a deployment Package already contains all of the updates (and many other updates as well) that I would like to redeploy to another collection,  can I just use that same deployment package when creating the deployment for an update group? 

Also it seems to me that if one is  not careful with those packages, there can be a lot of duplication and wasted drive space on the source file location when creating deployment packages for update groups.  Are there any best practices or suggestions to avoid unnecessary duplication?

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:43 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can use the same packages. The software update package is just a collection of updates. You deployment won't care which package it sources the update from.

In order to prevent duplication as much as possible, I split my update packages into product. ie.

Windows Server 2008

Windows Server 2003

Office

Windows XP

etc etc

Obviously, I have saved searches which cater for each product, and simply download the relevant product updates into the relevant update package. This will also help in reducing the risk of hitting any hard-coded limit for update packages that used to exist in 2007 (not sure if this is fixed in 2012), and also reduce the size of packages when copying the to your DP's.

Hope that answers your questions.

• Edited by mvjjkc Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:59 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:51 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can use the same packages. The software update package is just a collection of updates. You deployment won't care which package it sources the update from.

In order to prevent duplication as much as possible, I split my update packages into product. ie.

Windows Server 2008

Windows Server 2003

Office

Windows XP

etc etc

Obviously, I have saved searches which cater for each product, and simply download the relevant product updates into the relevant update package. This will also help in reducing the risk of hitting any hard-coded limit for update packages that used to exist in 2007 (not sure if this is fixed in 2012), and also reduce the size of packages when copying the to your DP's.

Hope that answers your questions.

• Edited by mvjjkc Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:59 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:51 AM
  • there can be a lot of duplication and wasted drive space on the source file location when creating deployment packages for update groups.

rpxn's answer is spot on.

To directly comment on the quoted text from your thread though, this statement gives a false implication (rpxn commented on this also but I wanted to reinforce it). There is no link whatsoever between deployment packages and update groups. They are two completely different objects that know nothing about each other and do not explicitly depend upon each other in any way.

A client is "assigned" updates using a deployment on a software update group. The client can then download the update from *any* available update package.

If the update isn't available in an update package, the client will of course have issues though.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:04 PM