Applying AddressBookPolicy to a Database RRS feed

• Question

• We have 3 seperate Organisations going through our Exchange 2010 (all on the same site) and have been looking into creating seperate GAL for each.  With the recent upgrade to SP2 we've decided to implement AddressBookPolicies (ABP) for each Database and assigning the newly created GALs through there.

I'm fairly new to PowerShell but feel I'm picking it up pretty quickly.  I followed the info from the Technet Article to create the GAL as below;

New-GlobalAddressList -Name "GAL_???" -IncludedRecipients MailboxUsers -ConditionalCompany *CompanyName*

I then created an ABP to give out this GAL and assigned that ABP to the corresponding Mailboxes in the Database using;

Get-Mailbox -Database "DatabaseName" | Set-Mailbox -AddressBookPolicy "ABPName"

What I'm now unsure of is let's say I create another User/Mailbox (with the same CompanyName details) into that Database will they automatically be added to the GAL and Assigned the ABP?  If not then any suggestions on how to do this automatically?

Another point; I'd like to include our Tech support in all of the GALs though apparently this isn't possible.  Any alternative or is an AddressList the only option?

Sorry if I've given a bit too much information but never quite know how much these things need!

Killian

• Edited by Mr Killian Friday, February 17, 2012 2:58 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:33 PM

Answers

• 1 - No. You have to set this when you create the mailbox - the options I described above.  You could run the set-mailbox afterwards but why duplicate effort :) 

2 - Yes. 

• Marked as answer by Mr Killian Friday, February 17, 2012 7:54 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Killian

You can specify the ABP either as part of the EMS command using the -AddressBookPolicy <AddressBookMailboxPolicyIdParameter> option or in the EMC there is a dropdown to select the appropriate address list.

I don't believe that there is any way to configure this at the database level.

Cheers, Steve

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Thanks Steve but I don't think you've quite understood my question sorry (or I've misunderstood your answer).  

I've already applied the policy using the EMS and the -AddressBookPolicy but was wondering whether this will automatically apply to new users created within the same database or whether I'd have to run the Set-Mailbox cmdlet every time for new users as and when they're created.  The second part to the question would be whether the GAL is auto updated when a new mailbox is created and has the CompanyInfo I specified when I set up the GAL in the first place (I wouldn't want them in the default GAL but in the GAL for their company)

So my questions would be;

1 - Will the AddressBookPolicy need to be applied to New Mailboxes when they're created or can this be automated based on OU, Membership, Database, etc

2 - Will the Custom GAL update when a new mailbox is created that meets the recipienttypes set when I created the GAL (-ConditionalCompany).

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:24 PM
  • It's not an available parameter at the database level. What you can do is run a routine daily scheduled task to run a powershell cmdlet to set the address policy on all the mailboxes for that DB. Doesn't matter if it's re-run in mailboxes again. This way you don't have to remember to assign it during the provisioning of the mailbox or if one of your admins forgets.

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:48 PM
  • 1 - No. You have to set this when you create the mailbox - the options I described above.  You could run the set-mailbox afterwards but why duplicate effort :) 

2 - Yes. 

• Marked as answer by Mr Killian Friday, February 17, 2012 7:54 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:57 PM
  • It's not an available parameter at the database level. What you can do is run a routine daily scheduled task to run a powershell cmdlet to set the address policy on all the mailboxes for that DB. Doesn't matter if it's re-run in mailboxes again. This way you don't have to remember to assign it during the provisioning of the mailbox or if one of your admins forgets.

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

I had a feeling it was going to end up as a scheduled task.  Thanks to both of you for your answers.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 7:21 PM

2 - Yes. 

We tend to create them through the EMC (unless we're doing some on bulk) but may look at making a script to create through CMDLets and specify the AddressBookPolicy that way or just do the 'Scheduled Task' as suggested by James.  Only issue with that is new mailboxes wouldn't appear until that's been ran whereas doing it on creation will avoid that.

Any solution to including a mailbox in multiple GALs or am I stuck with doing an AddressList for Tech Support?

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Any solution to including a mailbox in multiple GALs or am I stuck with doing an AddressList for Tech Support?

Sorry, never been faced with a request for that and I can't think of a way that it would work.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Sorry, never been faced with a request for that and I can't think of a way that it would work.

Never mind, will have to do an AddressList and include us that way.  Thanks again for your help.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 7:54 PM