Hyperlinks change in Word doc to local drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with with a Word document that has hyperlinks in it to other sharepoint sites.

When I open Document1 from its orginial location in SharePoint Doc Library, it opens fine with all links working.

When I goto a link on a SharePoint site in the same site collection that links to the same document in its original location the links change to

file:///C:\User\usern_name\documents\...

I am opening the document, not saving.

Here is an article I found helps but this only solves the problem by configuring each machine that opens the file:  (not an ideal situation when you have 200,000 plus employees)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903163

Method 2: Word 2007
    Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
    Click the Advanced.
    Under General, click Web Options.
    Click the Files tab.
    Click to clear the Update links on save check box.
    Click OK two times.

Does anyone know what causes the hyperlinks to change depending on the which sharepoint site you open it from?

Brandon

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:09 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please provide more information about your problem .

1.       What is your  word version ? Word 2007 or Word 2010?

2.       What do you mean by ‘goto a link on a SharePoint site in the same site collection that links to the same document in its original location the links change… ’ ?How do you create the link on a different SharePoint site? By uploading the document to the site ?

3.       How do you insert your hyperlinks .Just type them in or by insert>hyperlinks? If you insert a hyperlink by using insert>hyperlinks ,the address won’t change to a UNC path .You can view the address by right click on the hyperlink and choose ‘edit hyperlink’ .

For more information about hyperlinks ,please refer to this site:

Common hyperlink problems: http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HyperlinkProbs.htm

Thanks,

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:50 AM
  • Hi Brandon,

The same help article from Microsoft addresses how to handle using absolute hyperlinks in a single document. Users can use the appropriate setting for individual documents to keep them from changing the hyperlink, regardless of which user opens the document.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:28 PM