Forum to provide PowerShell basics RRS feed

• Question

• I like scripting in UNIX/Linux because the bash, ksh, csh and sh shells are so easy to work with.

I have over the past 15 years worked with a few scripting environments on Windows, but none have really been as powerful or flexible as the UNIX shell types.  I even worked with WScript for a very short stint, and it was showing promise and then all of a sudden support for it was dropped.

Is PowerShell here to stay or should I not bother learning how to script in this environment.  I ask because an environment changes and a language evolves and I don't want to be caught on the backend of another MS Windows scripting environment change.  I would like to see a scripting language that I can work with and use for a long while.

Thanks,

Warron

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:11 PM

Answers

• The answer is simply "yes".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Warron French Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:16 PM

All replies

• The answer is simply "yes".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Warron French Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:16 PM
  • I even worked with WScript for a very short stint, and it was showing promise and then all of a sudden support for it was dropped.

I'm not sure where this comment comes from, but WSH scripts are still supported and work just fine. (In fact, some WSH scripts are part of the core OS.)

But that aside, I agree that PowerShell is a better starting point.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:21 PM