WD external hard drive is asking to format? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WD external hard drive that has been used to store all needed films, images and documents. It is always convenient to transfer data between the hone laptop and office desktop. However, this time, something seems to go wrongly. When reading it on my desktop, this drive is asking me to format. But, the computer says the formatting also will wipe everything stored on this drive. But, I need these contents there. What should I do to fix this? What should I do next to rescue these contents? Please, help me out!

Friday, May 30, 2014 1:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This may be caused by Windows cannot determine the file system of external drive,  there are many factors can lead to this result.

Besides the suggestions above:

You can try if this drive can work on other computers.

Try to replace another USB cable for a test.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 2, 2014 3:01 AM
  • Try to use this external hard drive on another computer and check whether it can be read normally there. If it can be read normally there, it could be the problem of your computer. Just fix your computer problem well. As to the data inside this drive, just remember to back it up on another drive well.

But, if the drive also gets the same error message, it could be the problem of your drive, just use some data recovery software to rescue all wanted data back at first at the aid of some data recovery tools and format this drive to fix its problems.

Here is some useful data recovery information that may help you: raw-file-system.blogspot.com/2013/02/raw-drive-recovery.html

Note: Next time, back up all important data on another drive well. 

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 1:45 AM

All replies

• check at disk management

or open command prompt
    type this command; chkdsk k: /f than enter.
    it will check your disk file system and if it find a problem, will be repaired.
    in the command parameter "k:" is your drive letter

or if not working, you can use 3rd party software like partition wizard, but its more complicated

• Edited by britishdhez Friday, May 30, 2014 3:14 AM
    • Proposed as answer by cguan Friday, May 30, 2014 8:48 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 3:13 AM
  • Have you ever used this external hard drive since then?

Your external hard drive contents are not lost and only become inaccessible there. But, they also can be easily overwritten by anything new on the drive and gone permanently. Therefore, you’d better stop using it immediately.

Here are detailed steps for you to rescue your contents there:

1). Do not overwrite or format this drive.

2). Connect this drive to computer and scan it with data recovery software to see whether all of your wanted contents inside this drive could be restored, like Recuva, 4Card Recovery, iCare Data Recovery Free and more.

NO matter which one you want, just act carefully.

3). Save and back up all restored data on a different drive in case of data loss.

4). Format this drive to fix the not formatted error.

Note: Never try to format a external hard drive without data backups and just make data backups all the time. 

Friday, May 30, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

This may be caused by Windows cannot determine the file system of external drive,  there are many factors can lead to this result.

Besides the suggestions above:

You can try if this drive can work on other computers.

Try to replace another USB cable for a test.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 2, 2014 3:01 AM
  • Try to use this external hard drive on another computer and check whether it can be read normally there. If it can be read normally there, it could be the problem of your computer. Just fix your computer problem well. As to the data inside this drive, just remember to back it up on another drive well.

But, if the drive also gets the same error message, it could be the problem of your drive, just use some data recovery software to rescue all wanted data back at first at the aid of some data recovery tools and format this drive to fix its problems.

Here is some useful data recovery information that may help you: raw-file-system.blogspot.com/2013/02/raw-drive-recovery.html

Note: Next time, back up all important data on another drive well. 

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 1:45 AM
  • The formatting process can wipe everything stored on this external hard drive. So, you’d better not format this drive at first.

In fact, what you should do firstly is to rescue your films, images and documents, etc.

But, if you know little or nothing of data recovery stuff, here is video tutorial that can teach you in details:

youtube.com/watch?v=_WPcrHgIPPY

In the future, never save wanted data on only drive or place again.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:24 AM
  • Thanks Man this worked for me very well 

chkdsk k: /f ...

Saturday, February 3, 2018 3:35 PM