The connection icon in systray for networking is too small to see activity when activity is enabled. How can I enlarge it? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 19inch lcd running at 1280x1024. It is nearly impossible to see the windows light up when network activity is occuring. Is there any way to enlarge the systray icons?

I could live with it small if there were an easy way to see packets sent and received but that is not available in Vista, or at least I haven't found it.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:55 PM

Answers

• And, to fix the size problems, Go to Personalize from right click on desktop, select visual appearance. If you have aero, click "classic view" link at the bottom (not exact text, but similar blue hyperlink), if you are running basic vista UI, you're already there.

Click the "Advanced" button, and go to "Active Title Bar." Make it a little larger to suit your taste. The Icons will be choppy and ugly, the titlebars won't be much different, but you'll see the notification icons have gotten larger as well.

Hope that helps :)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:57 PM

All replies

• I too am running this resolution on a similar monitor, and I agree, there's not much color variation in the flashing, but if you right click the icon and select "Turn on activity animation," you can see a visual representation of the packets being sent/received.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:51 PM
  • And, to fix the size problems, Go to Personalize from right click on desktop, select visual appearance. If you have aero, click "classic view" link at the bottom (not exact text, but similar blue hyperlink), if you are running basic vista UI, you're already there.

Click the "Advanced" button, and go to "Active Title Bar." Make it a little larger to suit your taste. The Icons will be choppy and ugly, the titlebars won't be much different, but you'll see the notification icons have gotten larger as well.

Hope that helps :)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:57 PM
  • I tried that. However it enlarged every systray item except the connections icon (and the volume icon).

Thanks for the idea. If anyone else has any ideas???

Monday, June 19, 2006 1:16 PM