Outlook 2016 and office 365 rules slow to save RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have a user who has 200 + rules setup in his outlook. It takes 6 plus minutes to save a new rule. Is there any specific limitations or workarounds to increase the speed?

Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue only happen to one user?

To test whether it is related with a large amount of rules in his Outlook, please try creating a new profile and add some new rules to check the result.

Normally, it may be hard to manage large amount of rules. It is easy to end up with duplicate rules and messages could get duplicated or end up in the wrong folder because of conflicting or incorrectly sorted rules.

It is recommended to use other features to combine rules. For example, using Search Folders and Instant Search to quickly get what you need. Please refer to this article for more details.

Managing large amount of message rules

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If there are any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. If the above information was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:22 AM
  • Basically advised the user to export rules. Then start making more generic rules not a rule for each email. 

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:04 AM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update. This is exactly suggested in that article.

If you don't mind, could you please help mark the useful reply as answer so it will be easy for other forum members to find the useful one?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:05 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Hi,

If the above information was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Hello,

I am having the same issue (extremely slow to add and run rules) in Outlook 2016, but my case is slightly different because I only have 3 rules total.  If I try to add a rule to "always move emails from 'John Doe'", it takes about 20 minutes to complete.  My .ost file is only about 600MB, so it doesn't seem like the issue stems from a large mailbox.  Any ideas?

Best Regards,

--Dave

Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:09 PM