none
DPM 2012 Beta: Secondary DPM Server with certificate based authentication? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is it possible to configure a secondary DPM Server with certificate based authentication in DPM 2012?

On the DPM Blog it is listed as a supported scenario. But I stuck on the second step of the configuration because I cannot find the SetDPMServer.exe on the secondary DPM server...

Thx

J0fe

• Moved by Mangesh Sonar [MSFT]Moderator Monday, September 12, 2011 7:36 AM Moving to Beta Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    • Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:28 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Friday, September 9, 2011 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

Primary DPM and Secondary DPM needs to be in same domain or Trusted Domain, Certification based suppport is not present in between Secondary and Primary.

Certification based protection is supported in between DPM and Production Server.

Regards

Mukul Shekhawat

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

Primary DPM and Secondary DPM needs to be in same domain or Trusted Domain, Certification based suppport is not present in between Secondary and Primary.

Certification based protection is supported in between DPM and Production Server.

Regards

Mukul Shekhawat

Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Hi Mukul,

Then I misunderstood the blog post. Thanks to clarify this.

Anyhow I think this would be a must have feature in DPM 2012 or some future release. This could be a very useful feature in the SMB market. So it would be possible to have a central DPM Server in a datacenter and backup many companies/customers without any domain trusts.

Regards
    J0f3

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:25 AM
  • Hi Joe,

I have passed on your feedback to feature team. Thanks for your feeback.

Regards

Mukul

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Joe,

The following flows have been enabled in certificate based protection.

1. Production of Production Servers (say PS1) using a DPM (DPM1) where PS1 and DPM1 are in the untrusted domain.

2. Secondary protection of Production Servers using a DPM (say DPM2). Thus you can provide secondary protection of PS1 using DPM2 where DPM2 and PS1 are in untrusted domains.

3. We don't support DPM1 and DPM2 being in untrusted domains at this point. There needs to exist domain level trust between DPM1 and DPM2.

Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:53 PM