Running 32-bit Terminal Services Client on 64-bit Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all.  At my work, we use a software that runs as a plugin for Remote Desktop/Terminal Services Client.  It's a 32-bit only plugin and on 64-bit machines, this causes issues as the 32-bit .exe in SysWOW64 simply launches the 64-bit client.  We've tried renaming the 64-bit client in system32 as suggested on numerous web sites, and this works great most of the time.

However, we've run into a new issue: on at least one computer, the 64-bit client gets put back.  I'm guessing it's a security feature of Windows or maybe a Windows update that has put it back, but now I can't get the "fix" of renaming the 64-bit client to stick.  Something keeps putting the 64-bit .exe back.  I think it comes back after a restart of the computer but can't say 100% for sure.  Any ideas on how to fix this or maybe tell the TSC client to use 32-bit for one connection?  I would just install a 64-bit version of the plugin, but I don't think there is one. 

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you tell us more information about the plugin?

It is not recommended to modify the system files, this would be at risk to damage the system stability.

As a safe method, I suggest you consult the software manufacturer for an applicable version on Windows 7 64-bit.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 7:15 AM
  • It is a plugin to allow an application on a server to access the scanner(s) on the local client machine.  As far as I know, there is only a 32-bit version of the plugin and the vendor does not support 64-bit.  I'll check, but it's doubtful.

What I don't understand is why there is a 32-bit version of the TS client if the only way to actually run it (and make it stay) as a 32-bit process is to alter system files.  I know that's not the best idea in the world, but it's the only solution we've found.

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:53 PM