Fujitsu ScanSnap Organizer Search broke with Windows 10 Creator's Edition Upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• The Fujitsu ix500 scanner comes with ScanSnap Organizer software to make scanned documents searchable by keyword or full OCR text.  I've used this feature for over a year with Windows 10 Pro.  After the recent upgrade to Creator's Edition, this search feature no longer works.  (Windows version 10.0.16299, Build 16299).   ScanSnap version V5.6L20 which is their most recent version as of April 2017.  When entering a string in the search field, the search completes instantaneously with nothing found.  Searching for File name, Keyword, or Text all fail the same way.

Fujitsu tech support is looking into it and suggested I also contact you.

Has anyone else experienced this problem too?

Alfred

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:55 PM

Answers

• I just got a call from Fujitsu Support.   The Fujitsu engineers in Japan have verified and recreated this problem.  They do not have a fix for it yet but have traced the issue to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  They have opened communication with Microsoft in attempt to determine how best to resolve the issue.

We should expect a "fix" either from Fujitsu or from Microsoft but I do not have a schedule for when that will happen.  We should monitor Fujitsu  Updates for any patch releases and watch for patches from Microsoft.

Now that Marty had independently found the same problem, and that Fujitsu engineering has replicated the problem, it should be a matter of time till it is resolved for us.  Till then, Fujitsu recommends searching with either Adobe within Organizer or use the files search in windows.

I'll take the liberty of marking this post as the answer.  Others feel free to post any updates and use the above ticket number if you're contacting Fujitsu directly.

Alfred in Minnesota

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:50 PM
  • I am HAPPY to report that Fujitsu has solved the problem that I was having with a Hotfix.

The specific use case was that ScanSnap Organizer lost the ability to do a desktop search when the Fall Creator's Edition upgrade of Windows 10 happened.  Fujitsu Technical Support was excellent.  They were able to recreate the issue within their development labs in Japan.  They worked with Microsoft and devised a HotFix for the Fujitsu software.  They just uploaded the hotfix to my work computer.  The full search functionality has now been restored!!   It is wonderful to have the full search feature working again.

I asked what I could post on this form as a resolution.  I was asked by the Fujitsu Technical Support person to say that anyone that has this issue should call Fujitsu Technical Support.  They now  have a documented hotfix if your search broke with the Fall Creators Update.  However, since each system is different, they want to be personally involved to determine if the hotfix is proper for you or not.  This includes making sure that your scanner software is up to date.  

Fujitsu indicated that while the hotfix works short term, it is not clear if a permanent fix will be made through changes in Microsoft code (fixing what was broken) or in Fujitsu code.  

By the way, I have only compliments for the professional and prompt manner in which Fujitsu handled this situation.  I am very pleased with their assistance.

Alfred

Alfred in Minnesota

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:51 PM

All replies

• I would try and update/download the newest version of the software: http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/dl/win-ix500.html

In this case I would try to update in order to ensure you don't loose your data.

If it is a driver issue on their side, you may have to wait for Fujitsu to roll one out.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Friday, November 3, 2017 1:39 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

For Fujitsu issue, your best bet is contacting Fujitsu support for further help, they are the best resource to troubleshoot this issue.

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/index.html

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Friday, November 3, 2017 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? 

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 3, 2017 1:40 AM
  • Thanks all for your suggestions.   I am working with Fujitsu support but they are struggling. 

I have reindexed all files in Windows 10.  I have upgraded ScanSnap Organizer to the  most current version (5.6L40). 

Windows Desktop Search via Cortina works just fine.

ScanSnap Organizer has an option to use Adobe search or Windows Desktop Search.  The Adobe search works fine from within Organizer.  However, after Creator's Edition upgrade, calls to the Windows Desktop Search from within Organizer fail as they inappropriately report zero matches.  No error messages are generated.

I suspect somehow the call from ScanSnap Organizer into Windows Desktop Search of Windows 10 Pro must have changed with Creator's Update which is causing this failure.  Since I don't have source code of ScanSnap's Organizer, that is a guess.

This search is a critical feature for my work as I have huge numbers of scanned files.  Do you have any indication of any security changes that could be effecting this (ala permissions) or any change to the search API that are not upwards compatible?

Alfred

Alfred in Minnesota

Friday, November 3, 2017 3:45 AM
  • Just to keep people updated on this issue, which is still unresolved,  Fujitsu 2nd level technical support is now involved and looking at logs of their ScanSnap software.  Their 2nd-line support verified the Windows 10 setup and found nothing wrong.  However, they do not have any reports from anyone else of the ScanSnap Organizer failing to invoke Windows Desktop Search after the Creator's Edition installation.

If anyone has ideas, please suggest them here......else I'll report back when I hear from Fujitsu.

Oh... I created a VMWare session,  installed original Windows 10 and the scansnap software.  Search worked fine.  I upgraded to Creators Edition and the search failure happened.  Therefore, it seems highly likely that others could experience this problem too.....but so far, I'm the only one that has reported it.

Alfred

Alfred in Minnesota

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:45 PM
  • This happened to me as well and finally decided to take a stab to see at Googling the issue and came across this thread. I just sent in a me too to Fujitsu support. Hopefully others will follow suit and this can get fixed!
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:41 AM
  • If it is helpful, the Fujitsu Ticket for this issue is #3680603.    It has been elevated to Fujitsu level 3 support in Japan and their engineering team is looking at the issue.  If anyone files a support request with Fujitsu (which I recommend doing), it might help if you refer to the above issue number.

Alfred in Minnesota

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:23 PM
  • I just got a call from Fujitsu Support.   The Fujitsu engineers in Japan have verified and recreated this problem.  They do not have a fix for it yet but have traced the issue to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  They have opened communication with Microsoft in attempt to determine how best to resolve the issue.

We should expect a "fix" either from Fujitsu or from Microsoft but I do not have a schedule for when that will happen.  We should monitor Fujitsu  Updates for any patch releases and watch for patches from Microsoft.

Now that Marty had independently found the same problem, and that Fujitsu engineering has replicated the problem, it should be a matter of time till it is resolved for us.  Till then, Fujitsu recommends searching with either Adobe within Organizer or use the files search in windows.

I'll take the liberty of marking this post as the answer.  Others feel free to post any updates and use the above ticket number if you're contacting Fujitsu directly.

Alfred in Minnesota

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:50 PM
  • Hi Alfred, 

did you have any news about this issue?

Not being able to use the research tool is quite painful!

Best regards

David

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:21 AM
  • David,    I have not had any contact from Fujitsu other than for them to acknowledge this is their issue to work out with Microsoft.  I would encourage you to report your situation to the Fujitsu Support Forum (or just call Fujitsu support).   Reference my ticket with them (#3680603) and say you're having the same problem.  If several of us call, perhaps we will get a resolution sooner!  

I checked for updates from Fujitsu on their Scanmark software.  The most current release is several months old ad is the version I'm currently running.  

Alfred

Alfred in Minnesota

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:18 PM
  • Thanks Alfred, I did contact the support already, and has no interesting answer yet.

I did also post a bad rating on Amazon for the product. 

Using social networks to post bad ratings could be the best way to get a reaction!

Best regards

David

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:41 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem and have contacted Fujitsu with the ticket number quoted in this thread.  All I have received so far is an email stating that they have "received" my information.  Has anyone heard any news about this issue recently?  Not being able to search within scansnap is very annoying!

Susan - frustrated in Michigan

Monday, December 18, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Susan, I totally understand your frustration.    I have checked the Fujitsu webpage every few days looking for a new release of the Organizer - so far nothing new has come out.  I'm still having the same problem.   Others have contacted me and they have posted their situation also.

Yes, it is VERY frustrating to lose the Organizer search capability - that was a major reason I started using the Fujitsu product.   All we can do is to continue to let Fujitsu Support know this is an issue.

Good Luck,   Alfred

Alfred in Minnesota

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 6:29 AM
  • I just spoke with Fujitsu Tech Support.   Japan engineers are working on this.  Apparently they are needing to get assistance from Microsoft to allow this feature to start working again.  (Microsoft made some change in this update that broke their ability to use desktop search)  No estimate yet on when it will be ready.  I should get a phone call when more is known... and I'll relay it here.

In the meantime, anyone with this problem should report it to Fujitsu tech support referencing this ticket number (see above thread).  

Good luck everyone!

Alfred

Alfred in Minnesota

Friday, December 22, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Japan engineers are working on this.  Apparently they are needing to get assistance from Microsoft to allow this feature to start working again.

Would they give you any clues about the existing implementation?  E.g. were they using an OCR hook that Microsoft originally provided?  Perhaps that has been taken over by Cortana which would mean it needs to go to the cloud to be processed which would mean the items would not be indexed as if they were originating in the file system?  Just a piece of a user profile?  Etc.  Who knows?

A good thing that you have from having two cases is that you could use ProcMon (and whatever other relevant traces there may be) to generate traces for both; then you could compare them for their significant differences.  Sometimes this is a surprisingly effective way to gain insight on the problem case.  E.g. right now I don't think we are even sure if you would be invoking the same set of search filters (IFilter).  Etc.

BTW does the distinction between Adobe and Cortana depend on the filetype?  Notice that your product offers to let your have a Google account do that conversion for you?  Would that help work around your problem?

Saving Data to Google Drive

http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/imaging/downloads/manual/advanced/v62/en/common/qm_googledoc.html 

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:45 AM
  • I am HAPPY to report that Fujitsu has solved the problem that I was having with a Hotfix.

The specific use case was that ScanSnap Organizer lost the ability to do a desktop search when the Fall Creator's Edition upgrade of Windows 10 happened.  Fujitsu Technical Support was excellent.  They were able to recreate the issue within their development labs in Japan.  They worked with Microsoft and devised a HotFix for the Fujitsu software.  They just uploaded the hotfix to my work computer.  The full search functionality has now been restored!!   It is wonderful to have the full search feature working again.

I asked what I could post on this form as a resolution.  I was asked by the Fujitsu Technical Support person to say that anyone that has this issue should call Fujitsu Technical Support.  They now  have a documented hotfix if your search broke with the Fall Creators Update.  However, since each system is different, they want to be personally involved to determine if the hotfix is proper for you or not.  This includes making sure that your scanner software is up to date.  

Fujitsu indicated that while the hotfix works short term, it is not clear if a permanent fix will be made through changes in Microsoft code (fixing what was broken) or in Fujitsu code.  

By the way, I have only compliments for the professional and prompt manner in which Fujitsu handled this situation.  I am very pleased with their assistance.

Alfred

Alfred in Minnesota

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:51 PM
  • Thanks for posting Alfred--I have contacted Fujitsu and I understand they will soon be getting this "hotfix" to me soon as well. 

Maktub

Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:43 PM
  • I am having the same issue on two computers.

Not sure why there is no public fix available after all this time. This is really bugging me. I am glad I found this thread.

After contacting Fujitsu Support and they asked for Screensots of the list of all installed Programmes.
    Not sure I want to give that away. I know this will only lead to making me deinstall things which will probably not work.

Already tried a lot and this bug definitely happened after installing the creators edition update.

What kind of Hotfix did you receive?

• Edited by ChrisK71 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:48 AM
  • Hi Alfred!

Is your hotfix still working?  I have tried to contact Fujitsu via email a couple of times AND referenced the ticket number with no response.  I have not yet tried calling but I will later this week when our office isn't as busy.  Have you heard anything more?  This is super annoying!  

Thanks for all your posts,

Susan - in Michigan

Monday, March 5, 2018 9:38 PM
  • Sadly it's been over a year and I still have this problem. I tried to get support to send me a hotfix but never got any helpful responses and gave up. I made do with using Acrobat search for a while, but it makes the process slower. I have also started looking for alternative software.

I was going to buy another ix1500 but this whole experience has soured my feelings towards the awesome ScanSnap brand.

They have had no updates to ScanSnap organizer to download that I can find since version 5.6L40 from 2017. :(

Monday, August 5, 2019 12:42 AM