Password Protection in Word not working from Hyperlinks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have several Word documents which are password protected to modify however if these documents are accessed via a hyperlink in an Excel spreadsheet then the password protection does not work and the user can open the files without being prompted to enter the password and can then modify the documents.

I am using Office 2013 however some of my colleagues are using Office 2010 and have the same problem. Hyperlinks from email or Word are fine. Only hyperlinks from Excel are an issue.

The problem also only exists if you already have the Word application open. If Word is closed then the user is prompted for the password from the Excel hyperlink.

I have already posted this query to the Microsoft Community and was referred to this page.

I hope you can help.

Thank you.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:27 AM

All replies

• I can reproduce your problem, maybe this is a bug in Word and Excel.

You'd better create a password for this file but not only the password for modifying.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:28 AM
  • Hi CM81_UK,

I also can reproduce problem, this seems a bug for you problem.

As GUguuumy said as a workaround you can create a password for opening this file but not only for modifying.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, December 14, 2015 8:19 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your replies. Setting a password to open the file wouldn't work as the user needs to open the file as read only from the hyperlink to then save a copy. If there is a password to open the file then they are not able to do this.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:23 AM
  • You could instead apply the 'filling in forms' or 'no changes (read-only)' editing restrictions, either of which can also have passwords applied.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:23 AM