none
Power Query will not work...at all. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 (64 bit), Office 2010 (32 bit), installed 32 bit PowerQuery per the instructions.

trying to get started with PowerQuery for the first time.  Thought I would do something simple.  I created a 3 column, 2 row spreadsheet.  I wanted to bring this into PowerQuery using the 'From Table' button.  It opens the query editor and then just sits and spins trying to refresh.

The only thing I see anywhere that looks odd is in the Query Options under Security.  There is an exclamation that "you have not approved any authentication services on this computer".

Any ideas?

Monday, October 5, 2015 5:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not sure about that exclamation but that is not a very good system for stability with any of the Power tools. I have had all kinds of issues with the 32-bit versions, I finally made everything 64-bit and. I wouldn't recommend 2010 version of Office either but I realize that you may not have a choice in that.
    Monday, October 5, 2015 7:50 PM
  • Unfortunately, I am stuck with Office 2010 for now.  Big company and whatever I do I need to make distributable for everyone else.

It just sits and spins.  No matter where I try to get data from.

Monday, October 5, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Power Query on Excel 2010 is a little unstable, but I have built some large and complex solutions with it.  IMO it's still better than any alternative e.g. VBA/Macros or complex Excel functions.

I think this might be an issue with Excel's "Trust Level" settings? At one of my clients, most of the desktops show an alert for this under the ribbon.  But one machine doesn't - it is always hidden on the File Menu.

Another possibility is an issue with a hidden popup relating to Privacy levels?  Try cycling through Alt-Tab to find it. Or try going to Power Query / Options / Privacy and then choosing "Ignore the Privacy Levels ..."

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 1:13 AM
  • Thanks for replying Mike.  I would really like to use Power Query.  The unpivot feature alone would be very useful.

When I click on the 'create from table' button I do not get any security prompts.  Since I am attempting to start with a plain (manually input) Excel 3x2 table I wasn't really expecting any security warnings but that seems a likely culprit.  I looked into the Trust Center and it is set to prompt me about data connections and to 'show the message bar in all applications'.

I changed the Power Query privacy options as you suggested but it still did not work.

I tried cycling through alt+tab for hidden popups but no luck here either.

I tried letting Power Query spin for 20 minutes trying to import that 3x2 table hoping to see a timeout error or some other clue as to what is blocking it.....but no luck here either.

Any other guesses?

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 1:04 PM
  • Are you able to use any other data source -- for instance "From File" -- or do they all have the same symptoms?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:19 PM
  • I tried a CSV file saved to my local PC.  It hangs in the initial "Connecting" window.  "Please wait while we establish a connection to Financial Sample.csv"
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:43 PM
  • Can you go to the "Options" dialog, then pick "Diagnostics" and enable tracing. Then try to re-run the query. After waiting for 15-20 seconds, cancel execution. Go back to the Options dialog and open the traces folder from the "Diagnostics" tab. Use "Send a Frown" to report the problem, attaching the traces from the folder and referencing the URL for this forum thread.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:08 PM
  • Thank you for looking into this.  I sent the mail a few moments ago, including the attachment and reference to this URL.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:06 PM
  • Can you go to the "Options" dialog, then pick "Diagnostics" and enable tracing. Then try to re-run the query. After waiting for 15-20 seconds, cancel execution. Go back to the Options dialog and open the traces folder from the "Diagnostics" tab. Use "Send a Frown" to report the problem, attaching the traces from the folder and referencing the URL for this forum thread.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:10 PM
  • After much trial and error it ended up being the company firewall.
    • Marked as answer by ExcelNerd Saturday, October 17, 2015 2:59 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 2:59 PM
  • This thread was like reading a mystery novel where the killer was not revealed in the end.

I have the same problem.  How was is solved?  What was the company firewall blocking and how was it corrected?

Thanks,

Dave

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:35 PM
  • I am also having this issue. Has anyone heard how it was resolved beside " it was the firewall"?

Thank you,

Dona

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:33 PM
  • This should not be marked as an answer - not enough detail.
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:01 PM