Windows server 2016 in laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed windows server 2016 in my Hp laptop which has Intel Duo Core Processor. This server can not ping my client Windows 7 Pro on another laptop. It shows 'Request Timed out'. But the Client can ping the server. As per website I tried so many times such as disable the fire walls etc but It didn't work. I also tried to update the BIOS but Hp web site does not provide any update  for Windows server 2016 Os.

Can any one help me pls to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that server failed to ping client with “'Request Timed out'”, while client can successfully ping server. 

I want to confirm with you if both device/system on same subnet? 

Please disable Windows Firewall on both client and server system(disable firewall for current network profile) and check the result.

Besides, try to ping IP address instead of computer name and check the result. Also, try ping with “-t” parameter and check the result.

Note:
    -t ->Specifies that ping continue sending Echo Request messages to the destination until interrupted. To interrupt and display statistics, press CTRL-BREAK. To interrupt and quit ping, press CTRL-C.

In general, Request Timed Out indicates that no Echo Reply messages were received within the default time of 1 second. This can be due to many different causes, the most common include network congestion, failure of the ARP request, packet filtering, routing error, or a silent discard. 

Check the routing table of the destination host to see whether it has a route to the sending host before checking tables at the routers.

If the remote routing tables are correct and contain a valid route back to the sending host, to see if the ARP cache lacks the proper address, use the “arp –a” to print the contents of the ARP cache. Also, check the subnet mask to be sure that a remote address has not been interpreted as local.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:51 AM
  • do you have firewall on win 7 client which prevents inbound ICMP request?
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:58 AM
  • No guarantees but always install the chipset as a first step. The chipset allows the operating system to find and use devices integrated into the mother board.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:41 AM