none
"Backup metadata enumeraton failed" until I add the farm admin account to local admin group on frontend RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Sharepoint 2010, DPM 2012 SP1

I can't get this working.

I used the farm admin account within "ConfigureSharepoint.exe -EnableSharePointProtection".

I get a event log error on the sharepoint frontend server:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process. 

Operation:
       PrepareForSnapshot Event

Context:
       Execution Context: Writer
       Writer Class Id: {da452614-4858-5e53-a512-38aab25c61ad}
       Writer Name: SharePoint Services Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {2d870a1e-502e-44e5-8c13-652330d5262f}

The binary data of the event entry shows that's something the "spwriter.exe" (Sharepoint 2010 VSS Writer) is doing. The Service is running under the farm admin account.

The account is in vssaccesscontrol. He has write permissions in VSS\Diag (without it I get a error about this too).

When I give local admin rights to the farm admin account, the backup runs without the issue.

I'd prefer not to give the account local admin rights (it wasn't necessary for any other function).

I searched a lot but did not find a clue where I could add the account so it could make the backup.

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:35 PM

Answers

• Okay, one thing I did not try.

After I put the farm account in the "Backup Operators" Group (and restarted the spwriter services) the problem went away.

• Marked as answer by Sven Bürger Friday, September 13, 2013 1:35 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 1:35 PM