SCOM SQL dirty views after VMM 2008 R2 MP Import RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else experienced the SCOM views such as the SQL view getting populated by ALL discovered vm's from the VMM 2008 R2 MP?

Rob got this reply from MS http://msopsmgr.blogspot.com/2010/07/dirty-views-after-vmm-mp-import.html but I'm surprised that more people haven't commented about it and I'm just wondering what others do about the issue as it's not something I'm prepared to live with in our environment and it's preventing us from using an otherwise excellent product (VMM, not SCOM that is).

If no-one has any workarounds, has anyone got any information on any possible timescales for a fix from MS?

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:08 AM

Answers

• There is a private hotfix available for customers who require pro tips and SCVMM integration and who already applied CU3 to OpsMgr.  This is available by opening a case with PSS and requesting it.

For customers who have not yet applied CU3, but DO use SVCMM integration, we recommend skipping CU3 and waiting for CU4.

Kevin Holman
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:17 AM

All replies

• Just to add some more information to make my waffle a bit clearer, the issue is similar to that mentioned here by Kevin Holman:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/11/03/why-do-my-group-memberships-for-windows-computers-have-machines-that-don-t-belong-there.aspx

The last comment on the post explains it's not as simple as implementing the Hyper-V MP fix.

My System Center Blog
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:17 AM
  • This is a widely known issue... and will be addressed in the next set of SCVMM MP's.

For Hyper-V you can use the workaround in my blog.  For SCVMM.... there is no workaround.

Kevin Holman
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:36 PM
  • And dare I ask on when the next set of MP's might be?

I notice that SP1 is in Release Candidate for SCVMM.  Should I cross my fingers that the MP's will be updated to co-incide with the SP1 RTM?

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Oh, and just to further scupper our System Center integrations.... CU3 for SCOM knocks out PRO tips.

Is there likely to be an intermediate fix for this, or is it the long wait (presumably a long wait) for CU4?

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:41 PM
  • There is a private hotfix available for customers who require pro tips and SCVMM integration and who already applied CU3 to OpsMgr.  This is available by opening a case with PSS and requesting it.

For customers who have not yet applied CU3, but DO use SVCMM integration, we recommend skipping CU3 and waiting for CU4.

Kevin Holman
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Thanks for that Kevin, any ideas on the timescales?

Also, I wouldn't say this is a "widely" known issue.
    I was at a system center product demo recently and the chaps from MS there certainly weren't aware of the issue, and there's next to nothing on the Internet if you search on the subject, except your post and Rob's.  In fact I got the MS guy to show me his SCOM setup and he was surprised when he saw the computer view!

I'm also surprised that no-one else on the forums has jumped in here on this thread.  Either the forums aren't that busy, people don't use the integration or haven't noticed the issue.

Sorry if this sounds a bit of a rant (Travis over on Service Manager forums will starting tutting at me now) but SCVMM and the SCOM integration is the last part of our System Center strategy and the move to a private cloud infrastructure.  Not being able to integrate the two due to this view state is really holding us up.  You could say integrate them and live with it, but your statement on your blog post sums it up for me:
    "This can wreak havoc on your management group…. because we use groups of Windows Computers for Overrides, and for scoping console views."

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:29 AM