none
SCCM SQL DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am working in a project about a new and fresh SCCM 2012 R2 deployment along with SQL 2012 SP1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

We have 1300 EUD across our main site,the 2 datacentres and 18 remote sites.The design will basically consist of a standalone primary site server with a local SQL DB (best practice for this scenario).Also explained the reason why i go for a local SQL instead of a remote : 100% control over the SQL DB(no DBAs touching it),permissions simplification and absense of any network traffic between SCCM and SQL.

Having clear what the SCCM/SQL infrastructure look like,a colleague made me think the other day.We're designing different streams (new PKI,new remote acdess solution,new DFS,new desktop infrastructure,VDI,etc...)Mu colleague told me that he needs 5 databases for VMware View.

We are debating between going for a central SQL DB across the whole organization for the SCCM and the other applications or instead isolate the SCCM's SQL and deploy additional SQL instances on remote boxes across the enterprise.

Made my opinion clear and as far as my knowledge is concerned,we should have the SQL DB for SCCM completely isolated and working only for SCCM,apart from that an SCCM SQL works slightly different than traditional SQL DB.Obviously my client would need additional SQL licenses for the databases needed for the other applications but that's a better practice.

I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback about as need to bring my client with some feedback.

Cheers,

Felipe.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:48 PM

Answers

• I concur with your general thinking and choices above. Note that additional SQL license will have to be purchased to support the VMWare View requirements no matter what so that is not a factor.

While in large enterprises, there is some advantage to centralizing SQL Server instances, ConfigMgr's use and general self-management of the DB makes it rather unique among DB using applications. In general, when given a choice for an environment of your size, I would always install SQL on the site server itself.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:14 PM