none
Edge promts for use your location - how to hide

Question

• We have disabled location tracking on our Windows 10 v1607 machines. Now on some sites I get continous promts with xxx-site wants to use your location, but first you need to go to Settings and turn on Location in Edge browser.

I tried GPO - Windows Components/Microsoft Edge/Configure Do Not Track in Enabled and Disabled setting, but that does not effect on the promt itself, which I want to hide. I also cannot find registry settings for Edge.

• Edited by yannara Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    As far as I know, there is no built-in template in group policy to hide such promotion in the Microsoft Edge. What I could suggest to have a try is that you could use process monitor tool to capture the related registry and if we are lucky to get them, then we could remove those registry entries via GPP.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 03, 2016 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please have a try to turn the Windows location service on the PC or turn it off for Microsoft edge app: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location, and also please enable “send Do Not Track request” for Microsoft edge, then see if the prompt appears again.
    In addition, it is also related to PC client problem, you could also post the question in the Windows 10 forum:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:45 AM
  • Hi Wendy, ofcourse when I turn location services back on, these promts will disappear. But our baseline security policy tells us not to enable that. My question is, how to hide that promt! As I wrote before, I already tried that "no not track" - policy in both enabled and disabled, but Edge still promts. I posted this question specially here, because we are working on central management solutions, like GPO and MDM, to automate stuff.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, there is no built-in template in group policy to hide such promotion in the Microsoft Edge. What I could suggest to have a try is that you could use process monitor tool to capture the related registry and if we are lucky to get them, then we could remove those registry entries via GPP.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Monday, October 03, 2016 2:21 AM