Proclarity 64 bit compatability RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we're running into system memory limitations utilizing Proclarity and Analysis services on SQL5k5.  Is PPS 64 bit compatable?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:23 PM

Answers

• I believe that there is a 64-bit release of PPS, but not ProClarity, if that's what you're asking.  ProClarity Analytics Server will run on a 64-bit OS, but it will force IIS to run in 32-bit mode, which will render any 64-bit web apps (such as Reporting Services) non-functional.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:22 PM

All replies

• I believe that there is a 64-bit release of PPS, but not ProClarity, if that's what you're asking.  ProClarity Analytics Server will run on a 64-bit OS, but it will force IIS to run in 32-bit mode, which will render any 64-bit web apps (such as Reporting Services) non-functional.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:22 PM
  •  

slamia,

What process(es) are using the memory?  Is it IIS?  SSAS 2005?  PAS on IIS can be scaled out via NLB in order to increase performance and availability.  SSAS 2005 can already take advantage of >2GB RAM (4GB per machine) in order to allow scaling up in performance.

Info kindly provided by Barry T.

In general… PPS supports both 32 and 64 BIT. 

o    Server can be 32 BIT Native or 64 BIT Native… no WOW64 support for the Server.

o    Clients are 32 BIT Native and WOW64… there’s no 64 BIT Native support for the Clients.

-Joey

Friday, March 28, 2008 10:52 PM
  •  

Hello all,

Related to this topic, I have an easy question. I have w2003 64 bits and Reporting Services 64 bits, is there any possibility to have Proclarity running together with Reporting Services in an architecture of 64bits???  Does anybody have experience with this problem?

JhonSSIS

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:27 PM
  • It is not possible to run IIS 6 using both 32-bit and 64-bit processes, so the configuration you propose will cause either PAS or SSRS to not work.  Alternatively, 64-bit Server 2008 does support running 32 and 64 at the same time, but 2008 is not yet a supported operating system for the ProClarity server products.  Your best bet may be to run ProClarity on its own 32-bit server, so that you don't run up against this issue.  ProClarity is a 32-bit application, so it will only use 2 Gb max of RAM, so there really is not much benefit to running it on 64-bit hardware or OS.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Thankx your quick answer. If we want a 64 bits Server is because of RS/Sharepoint, but not for Proclarity... you're right.. I assume that we need to change to a 32 bits architecture, but, is it possible these two possibilities? 

1 w2003 64bits  - IIS 64 bits - Reporting Services 32 bits - Proclarity 32 bits?  

2 w2003 64bits  - IIS 32 bits - Reporting Services 32 bits - Proclarity 32 bits?  

Or its compulsory to have a w2003 32bits if we want RS and Proclarity working togethe???

And yes, your post is helping me a lot..

Wink

JohnSSIS

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:19 PM
  • It is possible to run the 64-bit OS with IIS in 32-bit mode for ProClarity and 32-bit SSRS.  IIS has to be in 32-bit mode for the 32-bit applications to function, so running IIS in 64-bit with 32-bit applications is not an option.  Glad that I can help!

-Bob

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:46 PM