Windows 7 Explorer don't show computer and library's (Documents, pictures, music...) RRS feed

• Question

• When I open the first explorer window I can't see any of my drives or library's (Documents, pictures, music...).
    When I open a second instance of the explorer, all the drives are available but then without doing anything the green progresbar on top of the explorer window starts to grow but it takes most of the time around 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
    When I open a drive and switch to any folder the progresbar starts all over again.
    It takes again such a long time.
    I experience the same problem with the configuration screen, none of the icons will be shown, but when I open a few explorer instances they will be reapear.
    Does anyone have the same problem or something similar?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

This issue may be related to Windows Explorer hanging, to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following website:

1.     Check for any errors in Event Viewer. They will be easy to spot as they are Red with a White Exclamation Mark. To view, go to: Start -->Control Panel --> System and Maintenance --> Administrative Tools --> View Event Logs. You can review the Summary Page for any errors.

2.     Run Disk Cleanup to release more space.

3.     Run sfc/scannow to see if there are any corrupt system files, the sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Please take the following steps.

a)     Click the Start button, and click All programs, then click Accessories.

b)     Right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.

c)     Type sfc /scannow, and press 'Enter'.

4.     I noticed that Windows Explorer takes a long time to display disks, in this situation, I may need to suggest that you rebuild Windows Search Index.

a)     Open Indexing and Search Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Indexing Options.

b)     Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.

5.     Open Task Manager to see if any abnormal process is running.

If it is the process of an application, please note the name of this application and reinstall it. If you can’t reinstall this application, you need to uninstall it and reboot the computer to see if the issue persists.

Otherwise, if the process is SVCHOST.EXE, it may be related to a service. In this case, you can use the following steps to find out what applications are using most of the CPU:

a)    Right click the taskbar, and click Task Manager to open.

b)   In Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, and look for the process that is using abnormal CPU and note its PID (Process ID).

Note: You may need to go to the "View" -> "Select Columns" menu and check PID (Process Identifier) first.

c)Once you have the PID, please run the following command line from a command prompt:  tasklist /svc

d)Please check the output item of the related SVCHOST.EXE process (with the recorded PID), and uninstall these services to see if the problem can be taken care of.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, July 3, 2009 9:18 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

This issue may be related to Windows Explorer hanging, to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following website:

1.     Check for any errors in Event Viewer. They will be easy to spot as they are Red with a White Exclamation Mark. To view, go to: Start -->Control Panel --> System and Maintenance --> Administrative Tools --> View Event Logs. You can review the Summary Page for any errors.

2.     Run Disk Cleanup to release more space.

3.     Run sfc/scannow to see if there are any corrupt system files, the sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Please take the following steps.

a)     Click the Start button, and click All programs, then click Accessories.

b)     Right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.

c)     Type sfc /scannow, and press 'Enter'.

4.     I noticed that Windows Explorer takes a long time to display disks, in this situation, I may need to suggest that you rebuild Windows Search Index.

a)     Open Indexing and Search Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Indexing Options.

b)     Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.

5.     Open Task Manager to see if any abnormal process is running.

If it is the process of an application, please note the name of this application and reinstall it. If you can’t reinstall this application, you need to uninstall it and reboot the computer to see if the issue persists.

Otherwise, if the process is SVCHOST.EXE, it may be related to a service. In this case, you can use the following steps to find out what applications are using most of the CPU:

a)    Right click the taskbar, and click Task Manager to open.

b)   In Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, and look for the process that is using abnormal CPU and note its PID (Process ID).

Note: You may need to go to the "View" -> "Select Columns" menu and check PID (Process Identifier) first.

c)Once you have the PID, please run the following command line from a command prompt:  tasklist /svc

d)Please check the output item of the related SVCHOST.EXE process (with the recorded PID), and uninstall these services to see if the problem can be taken care of.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, July 3, 2009 9:18 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:07 AM
  • I also have this problem just recently started, once it starts, I have to reboot to solve the problem
    I also lose most icon previews/display when this happens
    Killing explorer.exe and restarting results in "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute" and being unable to even open folders

I have tried a few of the solutions mentioned above with no luck so far
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Since neither of above works, in addition, let's try the following methods.

1.   Boot in Safe Mode to see if the issue occurs. In Safe Mode, Windows runs minimize services and programs.

If the issue doesn't occur in Safe Mode, the cause may be due to third party applications or services. If it is the case, we can continue the step 2.

2.   Perform a Clean Boot to identify the exact process.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4)   Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

5)   Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

3.   If the issue persists, I recommend that you perform a Startup Repair to replace corrupted system files if you own a Windows RC 7 DVD.

Startup Repair

==============

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1)   Please insert the Windows 7 RC DVD and reboot the computer.

2)   When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)   Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4)   Click Repair your computer.

5)   Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6)   On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, July 17, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Did you get this fixed?  Mine started doing the same exact thing last night!  The favorite links, homegroup, network list on the side of each explorer window have lil magnifying glasses and do nothing...then I can open a folder and itll work, but its back and forth, and happened randomly last night.

please email me if you figured it out! 
    • Edited by Dale Qiao Monday, August 24, 2009 3:53 AM Forum policy, it isn't supported by email
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:08 PM
  • has this fixed the issue?  I am in the midst of checking for a sfc scan now before I do anything else.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Neither of these fixes worked for me.  I tried a few things and again a diff system restore, waiting on the Welcome screen for over 10 minutes now?!  What is going on????
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:03 PM

• Mine hasnt done this since i performed sfc/scannow
    I also at the same time removed a 'virus' that was on the system, this wasnt actually doing much as it didnt seem to support windows7 and always crashed anyway...
    The fault was intermittent for me so it may/may not be fixed
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:34 AM
  • I've found at least ten threads online about this same problem.  There has to be a fix for it.
    I'm hoping the sfc /scannow thing will do it for me.

Outside of this thread I've found ten other people with the same problems on blog/forum posts with no fixes :-(
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:06 AM
  • sfc /scannow didnt end up working for me, had the fault again last night
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:34 AM
  • I have seen many other people with this same problem as myself included. Never a fix to date. I have posted and never gotten a fix.....

Not impressed so far as this problem will not go away. I have posted disappearing icons on another post. 

Hope you can help
    rventurini1 

Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I ended up having to format and start again
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:16 AM
  • I still have this problem with icons- drives dissapearing.......any new info on how to fix this????

Thanks!
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:12 AM
  • I have the same problem. See

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7_tips.htm

"Changing the Explorer from Libraries to Computer View

Added 6/7/09

Normally when you click on a shortcut to the Windows Explorer, the default view is to show the Libraries view.
    If you want to change that to show the Computer view, simply change the target to:

%windir%\explorer.exe ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

To change it to open up to My Documents, change the targe to:
    %windir%\explorer.exe ::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

If you have the Windows Explorer pinned to the Taskbar, and want to change it's view:

1. Right click on the icon

2. Right click on Windows Explorer

3. Select Properties

4. Paste in whichever target you want to use"

Also see,

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/02/07/trick-to-open-computer-or-documents-as-default-instead-of-libraries-folder-with-windows-explorer-on-windows-7/

and

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/02/07/command-line-switches-to-display-special-objects-or-folders-when-opening-windows-explorer/
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Hi all,

I have deployed TS 's on windows 2008 R2 and windows 7 and yes I also have the same problem. espcially when using folder redicection etc.

The workaround works on my win7 client, but is there a GPO that can help ? Or dit some of build one yet?

Thx
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Bueller?  Bueller?

I'm also looking for a way to do this for all users of a PC.  The links above only apply per profile.  I looked and that shortcut doesn't exist anywhere in the "Default" profile.  Does anybody know how to do this?
    • Proposed as answer by mesttre Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:54 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:01 PM
  • see:http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-error-library-ms-is-no-longer-working-windows-7/

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:56 AM
  • I attempted the methods you described without resolution to this issue.  I ran a full(not quick) scan using Microsoft Security Essentials.  It detected a piece of Malware and removed it.  After that, I no longer experienced the problem.  Hope this might work for others as well.

Note: You might want to set your Power options to never turn your computer off so the full scan can run uninterrupted.  My full scan took over 10 hours.

Best wishes.  Hope this helps somebody out there...

Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:02 AM
  • The folders in my Libraries all had their properties changed to "Hidden."  To change them back: go to C:\Users\(Your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries with 'Show hidden files and folders' turned on in Explorer->Organize->Folder and search options.  Right-click each folder and select 'Properties.'  Select the 'General' tab.  Uncheck the 'Hidden' checkbox and click 'Ok.'
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Got it! Had the same, nothing helped. (btw Total Commander working fine) I had a video file (think flv) without system codec on my desktop. The explorer wanted to find proper codec (1 of 4 processors at 100%) to display the miniature/icon. Just disable the latter or hide from the desktop :)

Qba67

• Proposed as answer by Qba67 Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:28 PM
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:28 PM