Baseline display problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello gang, long time no speak... ; )

The client I am currently working with has created their plans in version MSP Standard 2002 (SP1) (I know, I know that 2002 is an obsolete version...).  It seems that the baseline rollup feature, that I believe was introduced in this version, may have corrupted our baselines.

Primarily, the "timephased" baseline data does not display, or it does not add up to what we should have or see in the adjacent task level baseline fields.  Oddly enough, I ran a macro that outputs the baseline data, at the task and timephase level, and the baselines data (task and timephase) are perfect if I use the macro against the file(s) to output the baseline data.

I tried bringing in these problematic files into MSP version 2010, but unfortunately they still display the baseline data as described above; incorrectly!  Note, I tried rebaselining which refreshes the numbers and everything looks fine after that, but we do not want to do that because it will change what we had in our initial baselines.

Why does MS Project display different values in its timephase fields versus what I pull the data out using VBA ?

Is there a way to refreshing the timephased data so that it displays what it has stored (that which I retrieve via VBA)?  By the way, F9 (refresh) does not do anything. 

/Spiro Theopoulos

Montreal (Quebec), Canada.

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:08 PM

All replies

• I would use VBA to reset the timephased baseline values. Maybe copy from original file into a copy of the file?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Problem... I was able to access and write to the timephased baseline fields in each of my subprojects, but given that I entered this baseline data (via VBA) and I did not set the baseline using MS Project's standard baselining feature, then this became another problem...

Ie., normally, when it comes to displaying the baselines of subprojects in a master project I need to use the baseline feature with the "selected" tasks option set (and the rollup checkbox(s) selected...) in order to get the baseline data of the subproject(s) to display in the master plan.  But given the subprojects' in question had their baseline data manually entered (again, in this case it happens to be enter using VBA; but this point does not make a difference), and therefore the baseline data does not rolled up in to and display in the master plan! 

To make matters worse, the rows on which the inserted subprojects reside, MS Project does not permit those rows to have their baseline data manually entered in master project files.  If MSP was consistent and it did allow editing to the baseline fields like it does everywhere else, then I would have at least be able to edit them!

Another pain point with regards to baselines is that eventhough I initially used 2 baselines before the corruption (ie., I set Baseline and Baseline1 and they were identical).  Fortunately, Baseline1 is still good and did not get corrupt.  Unfortunately, Baseline is the only baseline that MS Project does not let you copy other baselines into.

I wish one day Microsoft would make the baselines more robust.  It is such an important aspect of projects that I think there is much need work on this feature... eg., small thing, but... how about warning users when they inadvertantly try deleting either a resource, task, or assignement that has baseline data associated to it.  MSP warns us when we are about to delete actuals, but it does not do the same for baselines... and oh boy can such a mistake ruin your day to say the least!

Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:40 PM
  • In Project 2010 you can copy Baseline1 into Baseline0. Are you on Project 2007 SP3?

The other way of creating a master file is by inserting with no link. This creates a snapshot and you should easily be able to copy Baseline data up. No risk of file corruption either and a simple recorded macro creates the snapshots quickly and easily.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:25 PM
  • As mentioned in the initial post, my client is using 2002, but...

You are correct only on one item you mentioned: I see here that at least 2010 does permit us to copy into Baseline0 from any of the other ten baselines.  That is as far as it goes though.

What does NOT seem to work correctly as you may have assumed that it would (and in "theory" I would assume it would too), is the rollup of timephased or task/ resource (e.g., cost) baselines that have been "manually entered"; either directly in a sub-project or from within master files with subproject (inserted without link).  And, to add insult to injury, I just tried it this time with version 2010 (I may not have the latest SP is installed on this version, but feel free to let me know if your version does have the correct SP and if it make a difference with manually entered timephase baseline cost data with regards to the rollup).  In summary rollup does not work with manually entered baseline values.

Moreover, and unfortunately, when manually entering timephased baseline data, MSP does not  sum the baseline timephased data in the  task baseline field.  I guess this one I could accept as a design decision because how would MSP distribute determine how the baseline cost entered manually from the task side would be spread over to the timephase side. Hmmm....Fortunately it is smart enough to recognize manually entered task baseline cost data in custom field formulas. 

On the positive side, inserted projects (without sub-projects linked), would at least permit me to write to the subproject summary rows. But what does NOT work or get calculated when you manually enter baseline cost, is earned value fields like BCWS.  So forget using earned value when stuck with manually enter baseline data.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:45 PM