none
Using InfoBlox for DNS, should my SRV records reside on my Domain Controllers or the InfoBlox appliance?

Question

• Hello,

We are looking to implement InfoBlox for DNS in our Active Directory Forest/Domain.  I would think it make sense for a copy of the zone, or at least the Domain Controller SRV records, to reside on the Domain Controllers instead of in the InfoBlox appliance for performance reasons, correct?

Anybody experience this previously?

Thanks for your help! SdeDot

Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:09 PM

Answers

• I run InfoBlox in my network.  A copy of the DNS zone, which naturally includes all SRV records as well, was initially transferred to InfoBlox and then the DNS service on each of the Domain Controllers was eventually shut down once all the DNS clients (including the Domain Controllers) in the network were verified pointing to InfoBlox DNS.  The actual process by which that occurred goes beyond the scope of the question though.  In short, today, DNS resides entirely within the InfoBlox DNS system - no records reside on the Domain Controllers themselves.  The InfoBlox appliances are actually faster at serving up DNS responses than the Domain Controllers were previously because they are dedicated to DNS, while the Domain Controllers remain busy with authentication and authorization requests.  Please see the following articles for further information.  The first one is a previously marked answer to this subject and provides the better information.

Moving DHCP and DNS services to InfoBlox

Microsoft Migration to InfoBlox

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by SdeDot Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:01 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 1:55 AM

All replies

• I run InfoBlox in my network.  A copy of the DNS zone, which naturally includes all SRV records as well, was initially transferred to InfoBlox and then the DNS service on each of the Domain Controllers was eventually shut down once all the DNS clients (including the Domain Controllers) in the network were verified pointing to InfoBlox DNS.  The actual process by which that occurred goes beyond the scope of the question though.  In short, today, DNS resides entirely within the InfoBlox DNS system - no records reside on the Domain Controllers themselves.  The InfoBlox appliances are actually faster at serving up DNS responses than the Domain Controllers were previously because they are dedicated to DNS, while the Domain Controllers remain busy with authentication and authorization requests.  Please see the following articles for further information.  The first one is a previously marked answer to this subject and provides the better information.

Moving DHCP and DNS services to InfoBlox

Microsoft Migration to InfoBlox

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by SdeDot Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:01 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 1:55 AM
  • Thanks Todd

Thanks for your help! SdeDot

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:01 AM