Missing shortcuts when updated application is published RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

We're currently running App-V 4.6 in our company. I'm currently planning the migration to App-V 5.0 SP2 (HF4) using an App-V Full Infrastructure. Today i tried an update scenario from an App-V 5 to an updated App-V 5 package.

First i published Notepad++ in version 6.6.8 to my Testclients. Then i sequenced Notepad++ 6.6.9 just the same way as 6.6.8. I published 6.6.9 to a new AD Group and moved the user to the new AD Group.

When a Tesstuser now logins, he is able to start Notepad++ 6.6.9 via context menu without any problems. But the Shortcut in the Startmenu is missing.

If i run the following powershell code "Get-AppvClientPackage *notepad* | Repair-AppvClientPackage -Extensions" the shortcut appears instantly.

Is this normal behaviour? Could it be because the Shortcut is named exactly the same (Notepad++) in both packages?

Thank you very much

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I don't think that the App-V Mgmt server has a concept of "supersedence" - such as the one ConfigMgr offers.

As suggested previously, what happens if you do an upgrade of an existing package?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:25 PM

All replies

• Potentially.

Depending how you did the packages there might be such a scenario.

Try doing an updated version of the package and see if that Changes anything

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:51 PM
  • I did some testing to today. It seems App-V really doesn't like Shortcuts which are named the same and are in the same location in two packages.

If i rename the shortcut path in the App-V Management Console in the new package, the shortcuts appear immediatly after login.

I can't really believe that App-V can't handle this!??

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hello,

I don't think that the App-V Mgmt server has a concept of "supersedence" - such as the one ConfigMgr offers.

As suggested previously, what happens if you do an upgrade of an existing package?

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe i'm updating the application the wrong way. Orginally i had Notepad++ 6.6.8 published to the AD Group "Group1". All Notepad++ users were assigned to this group.

Than i created a new package for Notepad++ 6.6.9, added it to the management console and published it to the AD Group "Group2".

Then i moved all users from Group1 to Group2. Is this the wrong process?

I'm pretty new to App-V. When i update an application with the sequencer, do i add the package as a new package to the management server or do i delete the existing package and readd the new package?

Thank you!

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:02 AM
  • Hello,

As long as you have an updated App-V 5 package (same pkgguid as original package, different version guid) - the process for updating is this;

http://www.virtualvibes.co.uk/package-upgrades-with-app-v-5-0/

Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:27 AM
  • Hi

Editing the current package and add the updated app as new application does work. The shortcut is displayed immediatly after login. Is this the common way to update an App-V Package?

Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:18 AM
  • I've also experienced the same thing when updating things like Chrome.  Rather than update the package, it's just easier to create a new one, but then you run into the same issue.  In order to get around it, I've been having to get creative on how I time the removal of the first one before publishing the new one.   If I publish the new one while the old one is there, and then remove the old one it has a similar effect.  I've been pondering the idea of maybe just tagging on the version of things in the icon in order to get around this, like Chrome v#, but I have not convinced myself that its the best option yet.
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Hello,

So basically we have;

1. Scenario where using two different packages and we obviously have a timing order in terms of publishing - whereas the shortcut from a package we want gets removed.

-If you wish to resolve this open a ticket with Microsoft. Anything else is a workaround

2. Scenario where we are using an upgraded package, which can be selectively rolled out to any desired user at any rate using different AD-groups, 

-Any reason not todo this?

Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:41 PM
  • I can live with the upgrade option. I was just surprised that the new package method doesn't work for shortcuts.

Monday, September 22, 2014 5:52 AM
  • I need to grab this out again. We're using App-V 5 (SP2 HF4) in production now for around 2 months. I already needed to perform a few updates and always created a new version.

As CodyLambert mentioned before, creating a new package is actually much easier and is also producing less package overhead. Also we had a few problems, that the updated version wasn't publish correctly and users still had the old version assigned.

I tested the shortcut behaviour again with SP3 and it is still occuring. I think there aren't any news from the community to this issue?

Otherwise i think about opening a case about this, but i think the answer will just be "create a new version instead of a new package" or "Append something in the shorcut name, e.g: 1 2 3 . _ ,"

Thanks, and happy holidays.

Monday, December 29, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Just for Feedback, if anyone Encounters the same "Problem". We opened a case about this and the Microsoft Statement was. "Not an error, works as designed".

Because the App-V Service first published new applications and then cleans up the old ones, the shortcut disappears, because of the removal of the old application. You can actually watch this via process Monitor.

Best regards, Simon

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:37 AM