Vista SP1 desktop incorrectly sized RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a new Lenovo W500 Thinkpad with an ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 graphics card. At work, I use a mini-dock with a dual monitor configuration - two dell widescreens at 1650 x 10... (can't remember vertical off hand). When I undock, video reverts to the laptop monitor, which is native at 1920 x 1200.

Nice setup, but unfortunately, quite often after I undock the laptop, Vista seems to become confused about the actual resolution of the screen, thinking it's not as wide as it really is. I believe this is a Vista problem and not an ATI problem because the desktop background covers the entire screen, but the taskbar is about two inches shorter than it should be and the right edge of the sidebar lines up with the right end of the task bar.

Furthermore, if you left-drag a rectangle on the background across this "dead" area on the far right, you can't see the portion that extends into this area. If you drag an icon into this area and drop it, it simply disappears. If you can remember where you put it, you can actually pick it up and drag it back into the area that Vista recognizes.

The only thing that fixes this problem (that I've been able to find) is to reboot the system. On restart, the desktop dimensions correctly fit the background.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. This is very annoying. I've got the latest approved drivers from Lenovo for the ATI video card (version 8.520.4.5000). I see that ATI actually has 8.543 drivers available, but for other cards. It appears that ATI doesn't actually make the very latest drivers available for the Mobility FireGL V5700 on their web site. This is undoubtedly because it's a laptop integration and they prefer to allow the laptop vendors to distribute these drivers.

--john

John Calcote, Sr. Software Engineer, Novell
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:00 AM